Chapter 27 - Many Developments

Start from the beginning

“I…I’m really sorry. I shouldn’t have done that…I…”

“It’s fine.” Drey quietly responded.

“I’m so sorry. It was my fault. Please…It’s not that I don’t like you, it was just-“

“Like I said, it’s fine. I’m alright. There’s no need to worry about me.” He cupped my face with both his hands, a surprisingly intimate gesture.

I fell speechless, unable to move for a moment. His black eyes were trained on me, and I could see his scar very clearly near his eyebrow. He removed his hands, walking back into the tent without another word.

He’s lying, isn’t he? I screwed up so bad. I thought about Faris and Ren. I had other pressing matters to worry about. With that, my worries for Drey seemed insignificant.

We planned out the route together, ate and slept. Tomorrow would be a long day, and we needed all the rest we could get.

We bade farewell to Daik, setting off for the nearest village up North. We needed to get new clothes and more supplies. Hope had jumped into my bag, demanding for me to continue forth as his squire.

“You’re really childish for a supposed powerful, mystical being…thing.”

“How old are you?” Janice asked, curious.

Hope paused for a moment, swishing his furry tail from left to right. My eyes unwittingly followed Drey, who was walking beside Bain. Bain said something and Drey smiled back. That made me feel relieved for a bit.

“I’m…old…really old. Perhaps…maybe 900?”

“900?!” Janice spluttered loudly, making Bain and Drey turn back.

“I’m a celestial.” Hope shrugged.

“What does that even mean?”

“How to put it in idiot-terms…? Well, celestials are magical immortal beings that are born from certain concepts in this world. I, for instance, represent Hope.”

“Can celestials be familiars?”

“It really depends on individual celestials. Some are rather attached to humans in general. Most choose not to let the burden of humanity hold them back.”

“Who are the other celestials?”

“I haven’t seen them in centuries, but there’s Imagination, Death…Life…all the concepts in your world. Many take the form of dragons, phoenixes, griffons and unicorns.”

“What are you, then?”

“I don’t want to tell you.” Hope said cheerfully.

I sulked at that, mumbling under my breath. Bain was staring at Janice again, who was completely unaware as usual.

“Hey Janice.” I muttered in a soft voice. “Do…do you like anyone?”

“You mean like? Or like? I can’t say I have…Boys never really interested me.” She shrugged, stroking her silky hair.

“Don’t you think Bain has his eye on you?” I cautiously approached.

“Bain..? Well, I’m not blind. I know he looks at me. I know how he feels. But frankly, I don’t like him.”

“Why not?” I surprised myself with that sudden defensive reply. Why was I getting defensive? I wondered, puzzled at my own self.

I thought about Bain’s actions to show his affection. His dog sculpture. His soft gestures and speech around her…Perhaps his sincerity for his love won me over to his side too.