Chapter Thirty-Six: Panic

Start from the beginning

     I gulped nervously, unable to bring myself to pick up the damn folder. I could feel Calla's frustration with me through the mate bond, but I couldn't reach out to grab it. Instead, I picked the bullshit route and told this woman I couldn't trust her. I trusted her, it was part of my intuition, I could clearly see she meant no harm. I had picked up many folders since that day, but after just hearing that Haes was back and terrorizing the pack and controlling my best friend, I had this sickening, sinking feeling that if I grabbed it, it might explode in my face. It took me a month to heal last time, the burn scars finally disappearing for good. The only one that had stayed with me Calla had removed for me.

     I tried to hide the shake in my voice, "Guards, take her to the dungeons, please."

     I knew damn well this woman needed to be in the infirmary rather than the dungeons, but my mind went completely blank, and the fear of that god damned folder in her hands was slowly taking over me. It was such a stupid thing to fear, but with all the new shit that was happening I could hardly think straight. Calla protested, talking to me about how wrong I was and that she needed help, but I couldn't hardly listen. I might've answered, but the ringing in my ears started to overtake me. The same ringing that I heard after the explosion mad emt head feel like it was going to implode.

     I the folder fell to the ground as the guards took her away, and I jumped in fear, expecting it to explode. I had shoved Calla behind me so hard that she yelped in pain, protesting about my roughness. I barely had time to think about that, the impending sense of doom starting to collapse down onto me. I felt like I had a hundred pound weight on both of my shoulders, dragging me down. My breathing was erratic, uncontrollable and spasmodic. I shook my head to clear out the ringing, but my head burst with pain, sending me reeling to my knees. Calla stepped in front of me, crouching inches in front of the folder.

     My eyes went wide and I choked, "Calla, get away from the folder! It's going to explode." I cried, pulling her to the ground and covering her body with mine.

     I could feel my tears soaking my cheeks, but I didn't remember starting to cry. Maybe I'd been crying this whole time. Calla struggles underneath me, yelling something about me being crazy, "It's not going to explode!" She pushed me off when my grip slackened.

     I shook my head again, only to feel more pain, "Calla, please, it's a bomb. You have to listen to me... Haes did it. He put a bomb in it, it'll explode like last time!"

     I scooted back until I was pressed against the other wall of the small gazebo, still in range of getting roughed up if that folder were to explode. I felt a weight on my chest, compressing my breaths into small gasps. I didn't understand why I was so scared, so weak. If anyone saw me right now, I'd be the laughing stock of the pack. The alpha, freaking out over a folder, curled up in a ball crying. But Goddess, I couldn't stop. My body shook violently and I made sad attempts to melt into the wall.

     Calla had ran off somewhere, leaving me alone. Although not for long, as Lorenzo, or whoever he was came into view. The second I looked at him, I could only see the figure of my Father, the one who was controlling him. He was here for me. To kill me. Then my focus changed and I once again saw Lorenzo, his face contorted into worry, Calla shortly behind him. Lorenzo has picked up the folder on his way to me, but I closed my eyes. "Please, stay away. Please, I'm sorry." I held my hands out in front of me, as if that would ward away hits.

     "Buddy, what's happening to you? Why are you crying?" Lorenzo crouched next to me, throwing the folder down.

     I jumped again, "Don't throw that! It's a bomb!" I scrambled back, but he held onto me.