Sick and Tired | Shawn Mendes

Summary: You are Shawn's long time girlfriend on tour with him. He's been sick for a few days and keeps pushing himself on stage. You've finally had enough of it.

Word Count: 1.2k

|Masterlist In Bio|

He's killing himself. Up on that stage, bright lights in his eyes, the band in his ears, fans screams deafening him. You told him to reschedule tonight's show for tomorrow. That he needed rest, that he was pushing himself to his limits. But that's the thing about Shawn, he thinks he's invincible on the stage. As if the music would take away the sickness coursing through his veins. It doesn't.

Sure the adrenaline high lasts a little while, but by his fourth song he's withering. You can see it from side stage when he grabs his guitars. The way his eyes are glassy, sweat dripping down his face when he hasn't been nearly as active as he usually is. He's sick and he won't listen, the stubborn idiot.

He's half way through Mercy when his voice gives out, breaking as he has to pull away from the mic to cough. He hangs his head, eyes screwed shut in pain. Was this worth it Shawn? Was it worth it to let your fans see you in pain as you give less than your best performance?

Immediately you turn and head for the lounge where Alessia is. You need to get Shawn off that stage, and she was your only hope of buying time with the fans. Sure enough you find her and she agrees right away, following you back to the stage, ready to go.

Shawn is trying to finish Mercy but by the time you arrive he's pulling back again, this time you can see his chest heave, a cough and a sob. You push past Jake and go up on stage, Alessia right behind you.

"Shawn, come on," you say loudly over the band and Shawn turns to look at you. His face breaks your heart. Pale, sweaty, borderline gaunt.

"What are you-" he coughs and you wrap your arm around him, guiding him to where Jake is coming up to meet you.

Alessia grabs a mic she's handed by Zubin and replaces the one Shawn was breathing all over. The crowd has long since fallen into a quiet murmur, blatant concern for Shawn filling the room. Alessia says she's gonna do a couple cover songs, just for a few minutes while Shawn is taken care of. You're not sure if a few minutes will be enough, but you'll do all you can.

Shawn is a sweaty mess. His shirt is soaked, hair a wet mess of curls, skin clammy and chilled. You get him sat down on a couch in the lounge and Andrew comes in as Jake goes to get water.

"You shouldn't have let him perform tonight!" You round on Andrew, a finger in his face. This was his fault, he could have forced Shawn to reschedule. He knew Shawn was sick but he let Shawn push him into letting him play.

"He said he was going to be fine." Andrew eyes Shawn whose head is lolling against the back of the couch. "I trust he knew his own body."

You roll your eyes. Andrew was an idiot. "Can you go find me some honey? It'll help coat his throat and cure the cough for a few minutes."

"Yeah, I'll be back," Andrew turns and heads out the door. Jake gives you a water bottle and some hot water in a paper cup with tea bags before going to stand at the door.

"Shawn," you say tenderly, blotting his face with a paper towel. "Talk to me."

"My chest." He coughs and winces, teeth grinding together. "Fucking Christ!"

"Okay, okay. We can't give you any more cold medicine so I'm gonna make tea and have you sip it." You prepare the tea with shaky hands, eyes going to him every few seconds. "Here bud."

Shawn takes the cup and sips, sighing softly as the liquid soothes his throat temporarily. "Thank you," he whispers and you nod.

You get up and go to the catering cart, soaking a small hand towel in warm water from the tea carafe. You set it in the microwave and turn back to Shawn. "Lay down for me?"

"I need to go back," he whispers and you shake your head. "but the fans..."

"They will wait." You go over and get him out of his sweat soaked tee. He lays down as requested and you turn on the microwave for a moment to heat the wet rag. When it's warm you bring it over and lay it on his chest and throat. He lets out a soft groan of relief.

You kneel beside him, hand going to his forehead and he closes his eyes. He was burning up. Usually a sweat meant a fever was breaking, but he didn't feel cool at all. You push back some matted curls and he leans into your hand. "Why didn't you just listen to me?"

"You sound like my mom."

"I don't care, you're sick and you probably would have collapsed on stage if I waited any longer."

Andrew returns with some honey and a clean shirt. You're not sure where he got it but the honey but has an orange generic price sticker on it like you might see at a convenience store. Whatever. It's honey.

You get up and grab a spoon while Andrew asks how he's doing and if he should call the medical services. Honestly you aren't sure yet, the fever seems to be breaking but the real issue was that Shaw needed rest and wasn't getting it. He needed water, sleep, medicine and more sleep.

"Sit your head up bud." You give him a spoon full of the honey and he almost smiles because it must feel so good on his throat. "He can't go back out there like this. His body is at it's limit." You kneel back down beside him and lay your head by his shoulder. "I'm not a miracle worker. His vocal cords are strained right now, his whole body is strained."

Andrew scrubs his hand over his face and sighs. "You're right. We have to cancel. Reschedule, work it in between nearby shows while we're here. That will buy us at least three days." He pulls out his phone and dials someone's number. "I'll make arrangements. Can you and Jake get him back to the hotel?"

"No, please," Shawn begs in a whisper. "I can't do that."

"Shawn, you have to." You lift the now cooled rag from his chest and he rolls over on his side to face you. "I know it's worst case scenario, and I know you don't want to disappoint people. But if you try and finish this you could damage your vocal cords or collapse. For once will you just listen to me? Please?"

"I do."

"Hardly. You're not invincible, you're an idiot and frankly I don't care if you yell at me later, I'm not going to let you push yourself. Sit up."

"I won't yell at you." He sits up and puts on the clean shirt while you get up to get him a fresh cup of tea to go. "I love you too much to do that."

"Yeah, sure." You pass him his tea and he stands to walk out with you to meet Jake.

Shawn catches your hand and you look back before you can open the door. "Thank you, for everything, and I meant it. I love you."

"I know Shawn." You lay your hand on his cheek and he closes his eyes. "I've always known."

_____

Thank you so much for reading. Please Reblog and share if you enjoyed it :