Chapter two

I wake up to someone shaking me

I wake up to someone shaking me. When did i fall asleep? "Come on kid, we've arrived." I open my eyes groggily and looked around. She sighed through her nose and lifted me into her arms. And my body immediately responded by wrapping my legs around her waist as i stuck my face into the crook of her neck.
   We entered a large building with seemingly endless hallways. The female walked though a doorway and talked to another female.
   Looking up i start panicking. We had just walked into a lab; this one more terrifying than the old one. Did i do something wrong? I squirm in her arms but she doesn't budge. "No please no. I-i'm sorry." I let out a few sobs and pushed against her with all my might. Some people are looking at me confused as others look at me in pity.
   Then a man in a wheel chair rolled in and sees me struggling against the woman. I sobbed trying to force my way out of her arms.
   I look around wildly silently begging for someone to help. He rolled over to us, "Here let me see her." The lady handed me over her eyes held uncertainty. The man sat me on his lap and rolled out of the lab. I let out feeble whimpers and curled into myself. This man smelled nice.
   Suddenly we hear a man staggering under the weight of an oversized backpack. "Hey, you're Jake right? Tom's brother? You look just like him." The man named Jake an I look at him strangely, "Sorry, I'm Norm Spellman, I went through avatar training with him."
   Norm offers his hand and Jake shakes it giving him an forced smile. "He was a great guy. It was a big shock to all of us."
   "Yeah." Jake pumped the wheels of his chair, rolling on. Norm hurries to keep up.
   "And Duh! Obviously you look like him. I mean, if you weren't genetically identical, you wouldn't be taking over his avatar." Norm adds quickly.
   "Genetically? What does that mean?" I speak up from my spot tucked into jakes chest.
   "Oh! It means the blood in Jake is the same as Tom's blood making them identical." Norm smiled down at me.
   Jake looked down at me. "So what's your name kid?" He asked, both men stopped and looked at me.
   "I don't have a name sir. I've always just been called 06." I mumbled looking down at my fingers. Not having a name didn't bother me until now.
   "Welp I'll find you a name." Jake says giving me a look of determination. I smiled at him and lean into him, letting myself relax for the first time since I met him.
   We soon entered a room full of tanks holding blue people. Norm stops to stare, and Jake rolls past him as if drawn by some unseen force, toward a big tank. There is a figure floating peacefully inside, which looks like a man. A very large, and a very blue, man. I got off of Jakes lap and walked beside him.
   As the figure turns in the weird fluid. The skin is cyan-blue, its long black hair drifts in the water freely. Jake looks at him in awe, "Damn they got big."
   "Yeah, they mature on the trip out." Norms said before turning to a man with curly black hair, "So the proprioceptive sims worked pretty well."
  The man tapped on his computer and pulled up the data on Norms avatar. "Yeah, they've got great muscle tone."
   The blue man's sleeping face turns toward us, and the features are , despite feline ears and a long feral snout, definitely Jakes.
   Jake looks at the avatar sadly. "It looks like him." I felt my heart ache at the sight of the once happy man frowning.
   Norm turns his head to look at Jake. "No, it looks like you. This is your
avatar now, Jake."
   Jake has a mesmerized look as he stares into the huge tank. I slowly walked up to the tank where i them place my tiny hands on the glass. Thats when i spotted a weird noodle. And I pointed at it, "What is that thingy-" But I'm cut short when Norm shields my eyes and guides me back towards a chuckling Jake.

~~~

  "So their nervous systems are in tune. Or something. Which is why they offered me this gig, because I can link with Tommy's avatar, which was insanely expensive." Jake said looking into the camera. Norm said that Jake needs to do a 'video log' or whatever.
   Jake turns and looks at Norm. "Is this right? I just say whatever in these video logs?"
   Norm looks at him briefly before turning back to his work as he is working nearby with Max.
   "Yeah. You just need to get in the habit of documenting everything , what you see, what you feel, it's all part of the science. Good science starts with good observation."
   I guess that made sense. Because if you want to be a scientist you need to know whats going on.
   I sat next to Jake leaning against the table leg and played with some toys that I made with paper and paper clips. I was bored but not nearly as bored as i was in my cell.
   "Right," Jake turns back around to look at the camera again, "So, whatever. Here I am. Doing science with my little buddy. Say hi squirt."
I poke my head up and giving the camera a smile and a small hello.
   "Also I've come up with a name that I think will fit you. Ella is a nice name." What I didn't know was that Ella was actually Jakes grandmothers name, they had a special bond when he was a child.
   I nod happily, Ella is a nice name. My name is Ella. I keep repeating my name to myself in my mind.
   Max interrupted us by saying Jake had to log off. "Log off. It's time to meet your boss for the next five years." Jake pats his lap and I climb onto it facing jake.
   He leads Jake and Norm through the short corridor to the place Norm called 'the link room'. Whatever that means.
   Norm looks around happily. "Grace Augustine is a legend. She's the
head of the Avatar Program, and she wrote the book, I mean literally wrote the book, on Pandoran botany."
   Max looks over his shoulder before whispering to us. "That's because she likes plants better than people."
Hearing my giggle he smiled and looked away.