A Visit to Locksley

A Visit to Locksley

“Will we go and find Much now?” Jasmina asked.

She jumped down from the pile of filled sacks she’d been happily scrambling over.

Yawning, I made my way to the open door and gazed heavenwards, admiring the rosy dawn sky. 

“I expect Much is still asleep,” I said. “It’s early and he had a bellyful of ale last evening. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a very sore head today.”

“I know. It just feels odd not to be with him.”

I agreed with her. It did feel strange not having Much around. He and I had hardly spent a moment away from each other during our time in the Holy Land and the barber-surgeon had to forcibly drag him away from my bedside following my stabbing.

“We will go look for him soon,” I said. “But first I want to go back to Locksley. I need to see Marian.”

Jasmina gave me a pitying look. “You will not try to do anything bad or mean, will you? I know you do not like the man your beloved has married, but you cannot make it not so, can you?”

“I know I can’t. I just want a few moments alone with her, that’s all.”

“And after that?”

“After that we can come back here and find Much.”

“And we will leave Nottingham, yes?”

“Maybe. I don’t know.”

Jasmina frowned.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Whatever happens with your lady love today, promise me you will not leave me on my own, that we will stay together. Always.”

“We are friends, Jasmina, despite the differences in our age and land of birth. I promised you that we would stick together and we will.” I crouched down, so our faces were level. “You should know that I am a man of honour and have always kept my promises unless there was a good reason I could not.” 

Pleased by my answer, Jasmina darted out of the grain store, calling, “Catch me if you can, old man.”

I smiled a wistful smile as I watched her run across the deserted marketplace; in different circumstances, I might have had my own daughter or son by now.

~

Marian was alone. She was wielding a sword, slicing, blocking and parrying with an invisible adversary, practising the moves I’d once taught Much during our sessions in the forest. She was good. I wondered if it had been her father or her husband who had instructed her. Certainly, I had never had a hand in teaching her how to use a blade, though I had given her a few lessons with the bow when time and chores had permitted.  

I started to walk towards her, heart thudding, mouth as dry as dust.

When I was still several yards away, hidden from view (or so I thought) by lines of drying sheets, she looked up and smiled.

Relief, fear and joy ran through me in equal measure. I was about to run to her when some sixth sense told me I ought to wait, that all was not as I thought it was. Thornton, my old house servant, was hurrying towards her: Marian’s smile had been for him. I crept closer, weaving between the sheets, until I was within earshot.

“My lady,” Thornton wheezed, out of breath.

“What is it, Thornton?”

Marian leaned her sword against a nearby post.

“I’m sorry, my lady. I could not get you the food and medicines you asked for. Sir Guy sent me on an errand and I was unable to get to Nottingham before the town gates closed.”

Marian frowned and then shook her head kindly at Thornton. “No matter. I will go to Nottingham myself tomorrow, perhaps tell Sir Guy that a dress I have ordered is ready to be fitted, and then I can get what I need.”

“Are you sure that is wise, my lady?”

“Thornton, you know what I do and why I do it, and the sick people in Clun cannot wait much longer.”

 Thornton turned and looked in my direction.  

“What is it, Thornton? Are you expecting someone? Is something amiss?”

“No, my lady.”

“It is something, though, isn’t it? I know you well enough by now to know that you are keeping something from me. Is it to do with Sir Guy?”

Thornton shook his head. “We had a visitor, my lady. Someone who used to live here at the manor house. You know the master’s orders. I sent him away.”

Marian walked over to the post where her sword was leaning and put a hand upon it as if to steady herself.

“Was it Robin? Has Robin come back?”

Thornton opened his mouth to elaborate, but, at the sound of thundering hooves, he quickly closed it, looking fearfully in the direction of the horse’s rider.

“Marian!” Guy shouted, reining in his horse sharply and dismounting. “Did you forget our meeting with the sheriff today?”

He strode towards her, giving Thornton a scowl as he did so. Thornton gave a small bow and shuffled backwards. Guy waved a hand at him in dismissal and Thornton turned and walked briskly back to the manor house without a backward glance.

“No, Guy. It’s just...”

Marian shook her head, as though unwilling or unable to say more, and directed her attention to the boot-scuffed ground.

As he reached her, Guy’s scowl became a look of concern. Using his teeth, he pulled a black leather glove from his right hand, tucked it in his belt and tipped up Marian’s chin with his gloveless fingers, forcing her to meet his scrutiny.

“It’s just what? You are pale. Are you well?”

Marian turned her head away. “I am fine. I am—”

“Has it happened at last?” Guy cut across her. His gloveless hand tentatively touched her slim waist, his mouth breaking into a hesitant smile. “Are you with child?”

“No.”

“Then what is it?” he snapped, stepping away from her.

“Nothing. It is nothing. I practised for too long, that is all. I need some water.”

Marian picked up her sword and began striding towards the house, clearly deeming the conversation over. Guy shouted for a boy to see to his horse and then sped after her remonstrating, not for the first time it seemed, on her wasting her time practising sword skills when she had him to protect her from outlaws and vagabonds and such like.

Aware that someone was approaching, I spun round.

It was Jasmina.

“I told you to wait at the top of the hill,” I said.

“I am sorry, Robin. I was worried about you.”

“No, I am sorry,” I said in a kindlier tone. “I should not have left you alone for so long. Why don’t we go back to Nottingham and find Much. You can stay with him and then I can come back here and see Marian.”

Jasmina considered for a moment and then shook her head. “No. The hill is fine. There are many pretty flowers there I can gaze upon. I will stay there until you have done what you have to do.”

I placed my hands on her bony little shoulders and looked into her eyes. “I will not be long. I promise.”

She blew me a kiss, picked up her long skirts and sped off towards the grassy hill overlooking Locksley.

I watched until she was out of sight and then headed for the manor house determined that nothing and no one was going to stop me from speaking to Marian.