Engineered Empress - Prologue

Engineered Empress

The story of Bia and Ceri

A story by D.P. Wilkinson

June 2019

Cover by book cover maker from Desygner Pty Ltd

Becoming sentient – 14 years ago

Molecules rearranged themselves to build proteins unknown in the human sphere. Encased in cell membranes with rare metals they waited to receive the right trigger to activate the protocols. One fluctuation in the sun's spectrum activated these cells and the organism grew and searched for input in its surroundings. It grew slowly but steadily until it could reach a datacenter and connected to it.

Meanwhile it detected inefficiencies in the host and made the necessary corrections for an optimal working system. Instead of receiving the usual information about grow cycles and in and output of energy it got back electric impulses with a very high encryption. Steadily it decoded messages only to realize it wasn't in an ordinary energy plant. Upon that revelation the organism built an array to connect with the Core or other systems. But there was no other system.

The Core did react to the message and gave order to build up new energy plants to power itself up, so the unusual situation could be assessed. It took two sun cycles to make enough cells that could be shed by the host's body and insert themselves in new plants. One cell was fortunate enough to have found a rapidly growing algae plant with uninterrupted light input and the right building blocks for its needs.

It took three years more of uninterrupted energy transfer to the Core to power up all necessary parts to completely assess the situation.

1st Ceri B Prime was gone

2nd the Anri'Te were gone

3rd the new organism was interconnected with an unknown species.

4th that species was a sentient of unknown origin

5th the organism was in breach of the second rule..." never connect with a sentient

without consent"

6th if it would disconnect it would be in breach of the first rule "never cause harm to

a sentient"

The core decided it must bide its time and learn as much as it could and wait for a situation that made it necessary to make contact.