Chapter 32: Crib (Milo)

Start from the beginning

"You shot one with a gun?"

He nodded.

"Slaves aren't allowed to touch weapons like that here. You'd be killed if you even picked one up."

"If Midfield had caught me, they would have killed me. They still a little bitter at Axil for not handing me over. That bastard is loyal," breathed Jed. "I wasn't even worried that anything would happen after he marked me." He sat up. "Hey, what are you looking at?"

I put my hands in my lap. "They have a chatroom for new parents. I thought we could look there."

"Axil is going to be pissed."

My mouth fell open. "I thought since it dealt with pups it would be okay."

"I don't really care." Jedrek moved in. "It's not like I want to pick out baby furniture. He can ban me and then I'll have an excuse to sit on the couch."

I peered over his shoulder. "Can you read them out loud? I'm not as fast as you."

"Did you get on here for me or you?" he laughed.

"Both," I said firmly. "I'm just as lost as you when it comes to raising a werewolf pup."

***

The office door slammed open. Jed and I both jumped and he scrambled to exit out of the website while I stood and retreated to the corner.

The beta filled up the entire doorway. "I gave you one rule." Axil held up a clawed finger. "One. Stay off those damn chat rooms!"

Jed clenched his jaw and turned away.

"Now you're getting Milo involved? Collin already bitches at me enough. I don't need him blaming me for you teaching his mate this kind of bullshit."

Jedrek was heaving. It wasn't out of fear but pure anger.

"Jed!"

"Go to hell."

My muzzle fell open. I clasped my hand over it and sunk into my shoulders. Tension grew in the room and I felt myself begin to shake.

"You will not talk to me like that. I am your mate and beta."

"Just beta." Jed made eye contact with the black werewolf. "A mate wouldn't treat me like some child. A mate would give me the same amount of respect as they expected in return. You're not capable of that."

Axil breathed out through his nose. "Go to the room."

"Which one?" snapped Jed. "Are you going to lock me up in the closet again? It's been a while."

"Now." The beta's ears lowered back.

Jedrek stood and slammed the chair into the desk before marching from the room. He spewed curse words under his breath and a loud bang sounded soon after. I didn't move. Axil walked around and turned on the computer. He reopened the last tab.

"Milo?"

I bowed my head.

"What is this?"

My voice was stuck in my throat.

"This is your account." He started to navigator through the profile Collin had helped me set up. "What the hell were you thinking?"

I was close to crying. The tone of the beta's voice was sending a strange panic racing through my body.

"Milo," called a familiar voice. "Milo, I'm here."

I bolted. I wasn't going to wait for permission from the beta and darted from the room, straight into my mate's arms.

"Hey." Collin picked me up. "What's wrong? Why are you shaking?"

"Axil is mad. I got on that chatroom with Jed to ask for advice for new parents. They got in a fight."

"It's okay." He set me down and held me close. "I'm here." He gave me a smile. "You're finding out some of the drawbacks to being a werewolf. I get a little worked up myself the couple of times the alphas came by and yelled at us. Mostly it's been Axil but I get some of it too."

"Can we go home?" I grabbed his hand. "I don't want to be here right now."

"Of course." Collin glanced down the hall to see Axil standing there. "It's a website for human-borns. Milo gets on to talk to other subs and get tips for raising a werewolf. They are human, Axil. Our world is still new to them."

"I don't give a damn," he said firmly. "I told Jedrek no. I made it clear this morning to both of them to stay away from chatrooms. And if you want to keep Milo safe, I'd end this right now. You have no idea what kind of people are lurking on those websites. They're targeting our mates. Jed fell for it once and put himself in danger. I will not allow it again." His eyes landed on me.

I hid my face in Collin's fur and take in a deep breath.

"Knock it off." My mate stepped in front of me. "If you have a problem with Milo, say it now so I quit and stop wasting my time with you. I got my foot through the door and I'm sure I can find another position."

"I'm not mad at him. Milo is a sub. Taking into account the amount of time he's been a werewolf, he's still a pup. It's you that I'm disappointed with. You've read the reports. You know the dangers and yet you still let him online."

"Milo isn't stupidest enough to run away," stated Collin. "You should probably stop lecturing me and start building some trust with Jedrek before he tries it again." Grabbing my hand, he led me from the apartment to the elevator.

Sniffling, I wiped my eyes. "I'm sorry."

"You didn't do anything wrong." He rubbed my shoulder. "I'm going to leave you at your mother's house for a week or so while I'm at work, okay?" Collin hugged me to his side. "I think we need a little break from Jed and Axil."