Chapter 16: The Boss

Start from the beginning

The male snorted, making his way towards both teens as Emily stepped in front of the older. Edith gave her a confused glance.

"Stay away from her!" the young brunette snapped with a frown.

Chance's hand smacking Emily's cheek felt a bucket of ice-cold water being dropped on top of Edith. Fury quickly followed and then it was like time had stopped. As if seconds weren't tickling by. The blonde raised a hand and watched with rage in her eyes as Chance was lifted by an invisible force, his feet not even touching the ground. He chocked, making frantic motions and sounds of anguish. Edith closed her hand in a fist and watched as his eyes widened, as he became more and more desperate for air. But he deserved it. He hurt Emily. Her little sister.

"Edith, no!" Emily's voice snapped her out of her daze as Chance fell to the ground, gasping for air. The young brunette turned towards the quarterback "Just go."

The male staggered to his feet, running out of the house. Edith looked at her fingertips, feeling numb and strange. What had gotten onto her? She was not like that. The blonde opened her mouth to say something, anything. But the doorbell interrupted her. Emily and she shared a glance. Edith held the brunette's hand, fearing Chance changed his mind and was returning to hurt them. Opening the door slowly, they didn't find the quarterback.

"Edith Duncan? It's a pleasure to meet you. I believe we haven't met. My name is Emma Frost."

°°°°°°

For the first time in her whole life, Edith had nowhere to go. She didn't even know how to go back to the Duncans, not that she could. She had no money. No friends. No ID. Just a backpack full of memories and a car running out of gas. Her willpower seemed to be enough to make it move, as funny as she felt gripping the wheel for dear life. The blonde realised just as she reached a town near the border of North Salem that she had a lot of power inside of her. It was dark and she felt lonely but there was no going back. Raven said it, she couldn't return anymore.

Edith stopped the car on the side of the road, watching as other vehicles passed her by. The blonde sat a little straighter, stretching her back. If she knew something about her ability to create illusions and objects out of thin air it was that it never lasted forever. Somehow, once she lost her concentration, it was like she couldn't control the thought of what she made. As if it was practically waiting to stop existing as soon as possible. But everyone said Edith could basically do anything she wanted. The blonde wondered if she really could if she could make any thought a reality. The first thing she would be needing was money. Not too much, as it'd be suspicious. Focusing her gaze on the passenger seat, she imagined at least a hundred dollars there. Faster than usual, they appeared. It was scary to think she was improving.

"Edith, there's a motel five miles East."

"Professor?" the blonde jumped, looking around as if expecting him to be there "How?"

"I figured you'd need some last guiding words." Charles kept talking, amusement clear in his words "Cerebro allows me to speak to you no matter how far you are."

Edith smiled slightly, mumbling grateful words.

"Raven didn't mean it. Any of it. Don't take her too seriously." his voice was calm and the blonde wondered if Charles felt just how upset Raven's words made her feel "I did."

Edith chuckled, "I know. I'll thank her if I ever have to kick some ass."

The teen frowned slightly, gripping the wheel a little tighter. Feeling Charles still in her mind, she kept talking.