Chapter 13: The Power

Start from the beginning

Chance let Reid go with a final shove, stalking off furiously. Edith could hear what she guessed were supposed to be mutters. She heard him insulting her, calling her names. She also saw how he kicked the roses angrily.

Edith only sighed and turned towards Reid's camera, picking it up. The snapshot didn't show the couple, just a butterfly that had been curiously peeking through a window. It was a beautiful photo and Edith felt bad. She felt bad for calling him names behind his back and being what she hated so much about her boyfriend. A bully.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled because it felt right. If Chance could apologise (in his own unique way) then so could she. Edith returned the camera "He's a dick sometimes."

"You don't have to apologise." Reid looked at her in awe, pushing his glasses up awkwardly and blushing when their fingers brushed "T-Thank you, Edith."

"You're okay, right?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry." he gathered himself up, looking at the picture and avoiding the cheerleader's eyes.

"That's for the Photography club?" Edith tried to strike a conversation and watched as Reid blushed "It's beautiful."

"No!" he said quickly and became shy again "I-I mean, it's not for the club. I just felt like taking it. You can keep it if you like it."

Reid looked like a tomato as he handed the picture to Edith. The blonde smiled at him before rushing after her boyfriend.

°°°°°°

The hot cocoa was warm and Edith finally understood why Kurt enjoyed it to cheer himself up. The sight was beautiful. The meadow, just as she remembered it with tall flowers everywhere. Edith went camping so many times it was hard for the picture to slip her memory. Still, going back after so long was heartwarming. Especially because Kurt was there too. He shared Edith's look of awe as they both looked around.

The blonde naturally created an orb of light above their heads. It was still a little dark but finally being able to see it felt more real.

"For a year I brought people here." she commented as her eyes finally settled on Kurt "But I forgot what it'd actually feel like to return."

Kurt put an arm shyly around Edith's shoulders and she pressed closer to him.

"Thank you," she mumbled, suddenly feeling coy as she drank the last drops of cocoa from the mug.

"Thank you, Liebling," Kurt muttered back, rubbing her arm gently. It was comforting and Edith found herself closing her eyes and humming. She didn't understand why he was thanking her but felt happy anyway.

The teens looked around and the blonde felt a little awkward to be standing up. She grasped at the thought of a mattress and watched as it quickly became physical, sinking gently in the bed of flowers. It was a beautiful sea of colours, and Edith pulled away from the embrace gently. She let herself fall, trusting her abilities a little too much given the situation. The blonde didn't let go of the mug, trying not to lose it.

Kurt smiled at the childish teen and laid back next to her, looking up and watching as the ball of light disappeared. The night sky became even clearer as small stars shone brightly above them.

"What's that mean?" the blonde's lips formed a tight line as she tried but failed to pronounce the foreign word he said before. Edith failed miserably and realised that maybe languages weren't her thing.