Chapter 1: The Hunt Begins

Start from the beginning

The older woman takes her leave. The four students look between one another, a cold chill felt by each thanks to the professor.

Blake breaks the silence by clearing her throat. "I wonder what this mission could be."

"No use guessing," Weiss replies. "Let's not waste the Headmaster's time."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Hey dumbass," with the sound of a moving curtain, the afternoon sun beams down on you.

"Gah," you obstruct the light with your hand. "What, Dante?"

"You have a job."

You rub your face and shift to sitting on the bed. "A job... aren't you the one who should be running these?" You look over at him with squinted eyes.

"I did the last job and look how that went."

"Heh... Patty... fine!" You push off the bed and stretch. "Give me a minute and I'll be down."

"I already got your weapons ready," Dante walks towards the door.

"You're a caring brother."

"You better believe it," he ends with a chuckle.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The team sits quietly in Ozpin's office as the gray-haired man types away on his computer. He hasn't spoken, the girls haven't spoken, the only noise is the clockwork above. The students look between each other, exchanging silent conversation.

"My apology, girls. An exciting time is approaching and I must prepare."

"What is it, Professor? Are we having another Vytal Festival?" Ruby smiles.

"It's every two years, dunce," Weiss scolds.

"No, something more... personal," Ozpin clears his throat. "Anyhow, Glynda should have told you why I asked you here."

"She did," Blake nods. "A new mission?"

"The first one this year," Ozpin recollects. "My apologies for that. Your team had the highest success rate for first years. You also won the Vytal Festival Tournament. Quite the resume, truly."

"We're a great team!" Ruby affirms. "There's nothing we can't handle."

"That's good to hear," Ozpin smiles. "I have... a special request for you all. I'm going to upload four separate coordinates to your scrolls. A woman will meet you in each location. They should lead you to an artifact. Collect all four and bring them back to me. Any questions?"

The team looks amongst themselves, each having their own thoughts but no questions for the headmaster.

"Leave it to us, sir," Ruby nods.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Why such a basic mission?" Ruby whines. "Go to these places and collect these things? It's like a video game."

The four enter a Bullhead waiting at the docks, warmed up and ready to go.

"Clearly it's important," Blake replies. "If anything, we should be thankful that our first mission is such an easy one."

"We shouldn't complain. Ozpin said it would take us a few days-"

"A break from school is fine with me," Yang stretches her arms up. "Plus we get some sightseeing. Vale, Atlas, Vacuo, even Menagerie!"