Chapter 11: The Sea

Start from the beginning

Edith jumped up and turned towards the control booth, looking at Raven with a hopeful expression. The blue woman shook her head, it was not what she was looking for. Edith turned away, angry and dejected. She shouldn't have even tried. The blonde kicked the robot angrily and stormed out, making her way towards the Professor's office.

"This is not training! This is nothing! Raven doesn't want me to improve, she wants me to go mad!" Edith paced around the room, furious and mostly disappointed. Disappointed because she couldn't improve, because she wasn't acknowledged. It was like high school all over again, which she hated "She's not teaching me anymore. Please, Professor, give me something I can do. Something that I won't suck at."

Noticing Edith's look, Charles sighed.

"Edith, I know you feel powerless and angry but you have to understand. Everyone here wants to see you become someone strong. We want to help you"

"I just feel like I'm being punished every day. I'm sick of it." the volume of her voice dropped lower and lower and Edith felt so helpless and so tired she could even cry. And she didn't cry, she never did "Please, Professor."

Charles nodded, pressing two fingers to his temple for a few seconds.

"I found something for you to do. Raven will still train you but this task you must perform alone." he said and Edith broke in a smile "Wait outside for Scott, he will explain everything."

Edith nodded hurriedly "Thank you! I won't disappoint you!"

As she opened the door and walked outside, Edith found Raven waiting for her. The blonde frowned, walking past her and feeling glad the older woman didn't try to interrupt her.

°°°°°°

"The Professor said you had to try to push your limits when it comes to what you're comfortable with the most." Scott said flatly, eyes fixed on the road as he drove through a nearly empty highway "He mentioned force fields, so I figured the pressure of the sea would be a challenge for you."

He seemed unsure, though Edith thought it was a good idea.

"So I just dive in, do a force field in the water and hold on? Cool."

Scott frowned "No. Not cool. You could drown. Scary."

"Not scary." Edith whined like a child "It's actually pretty awesome. It's been so long since I went to the beach. You should've told me earlier I would've put on a swimsuit."

"Edith, I'm not taking you to the beach." Scott rolled her eyes. She couldn't see him but she could tell he had done it "Besides, you're supposed to not get wet."

"Too bad." Edith stretched comfortably in Scott's car "What if I can't hold on long enough?"

The brunette seemed to notice Edith's hesitant voice. They both turned serious for a moment as he shook his head.

"Don't tell anyone I said this but," Scott sighed "you're strong and capable enough to pull this out. It's just a little water."

Their destination turned out to be the highest spot of a cliff and a little water, the middle of the ocean. Edith looked over, admiring the beautiful scenery for a moment before turning towards Scott once again.

"If you brought me here to kill me I'm going to feel really betrayed our beautiful friendship was a lie, Scott." she joked, punching his shoulder lightly.