I sighed and reached for my phone, an idea suddenly taking form in my mind. I didn't have the number of any of those imbeciles from school, so I searched up their Instagram accounts instead. Asher didn't have one, what lead me to message Gill via her account. Only two minutes later I was in possession of Asher's number.

After saving and dialing it, all I had left to do was hoping he'd answer.

"Hello?" he said, and I slightly relaxed.

"Hi, it's Kiri."

"What? How did you get my number?"

"I asked Gill," I said, sitting up so I could talk more easily. "Now, let's get to business."

"You're such a stalker. What do you need?"

I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see it. "Remember that one time you gave me wheat flour and caused me to have a rather shitty night?"

Asher sighed. "Duh. And that was a terrible pun."

"Now since you're still dying of guilt, as you should, I could offer you a way to make up for your mistake."

"I already told you I'm sorry, I really am. Just tell me what you need."

With my free hand I scratched the back of my neck. "I need you to come over and cook dinner with me."

For the next few seconds he remained silent, and it got me wondering whether this call was a bad idea. Then Asher chuckled.

"What? Kiri, are you asking me on a date?"

"Shut up or I'll throw up on you," I replied, frowning. "Michael's having a lady visitor tonight and I'm supposed to make dinner. And since I'm still pretty fucking sick from those muffins you poisoned for me, I need you to help me."

"Why didn't you say that right away?" he asked, allowing me to practically hear the grin out of his voice. "And why do you expect me to know how to cook?"

I froze as I realized I hadn't thought about that. Great job, Kiri. Way to make a fool out of yourself.

"Oh my god you're incapable," I groaned, falling back on my mattress. "Just come over and help me."

"That sounds as if you'd rather have my presence than my actual help, but okay, I'll be there."

Again, I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Let's say half past five. Oh, and can you go grocery shopping?"

"If I have to. What do you need?"

"Uh, I don't know what we'll cook yet, but I'll text you a list later."

"Okay." Asher paused for a second. "How are you?"

"Sick. Tired. Confused whether I have to take a shit or throw up. What about you?"

He sighed. "Don't you have any medicine or something else that could help you?"

"Michael gave me some pills against my headache earlier," I said with a shrug. Then I cracked a grin. "Aw, is there someone worried about me?"

"Piss off. Just dying of guilt, like you said. Anything else?"

I briefly thought about it, then shook my head. "Nope. That's it. I'll text you what I need."

"Fine. And don't be a stalker. Bye."

He hung up before I could say bye back, but I was still grinning when I tossed my phone aside. This had been fun.

I spent the next few hours drifting in and out of sleep, texting Ruby, looking up recipes online and sending Asher a list of what we needed after having settled for Thai Chicken Curry with coconut milk.