Delusions

10:00 am

We'll see? We'll see?!

"Please. This is serious. You're putting Thomas in danger by just being out here."

     Hostility boiled into the latter's features. "Everything isn't what it seems, we don't know him as well as we think we do."

     Virgil stared, taken aback.

     The night guard position could've fallen to anyone else, but it was Thomas they got to know. Who endured deadly chaos and kept coming back.

Who wanted to free them.

Of course, it wasn't the smartest thing to completely trust someone after days of knowing them. But a second chance had presented itself—they'd be damned to not accept it.

"Look..." He couldn't quiet down the voice in his head that screamed about horrible possibilities and jumped conclusions. A deadweight in his heart eliminated confidence, and the next thing sounded more like a pressured self-reminder. "...I'm sure he means well, ok? He's really trying to help us out."

Piercing circles and a scowl flared to a blinding degree. His voice smoothed out, uniting the chilling echoes, at the cost of a high-pitched shrill interceding through it all. "You can't believe everything he says!"

"Shh!"

     The animatronic pointed to a circular gash on the door. Thanks to an idiot, his room wasn't as sound proof as it used to be.

"Oh...how'd that happen?" His speech dipped back to normal. At a much softer level, too.

"Not important." Virgil glided his finger to the living shadow. "Why—

     Brisk steps neared the room.

     Shit.

     The robot sat upright, arms crossed, head tilted slightly downward: default position. He glanced between his companion and the room's entrance, giving in to a head twitch when the ghoul expressed bewilderment.

     A door creaked open, slowly at first. Their visitor failed to be discreet.

Shadow Patton got the hint and plunged into the ground.

A horizontal carpet of brighter light expanded in front of the stage, marked with a fuzzy silhouette. They didn't wander inside, so this person had enough encounters with him. New workers learned their lesson when they didn't pay attention to the mascot with a reputation of jump-scaring.

     Virgil kept his eyes fixated to a specific dot on the wall ahead, hoping with every ounce of his soul that they'd say nothing. Go away.

     Go away, go away, go away-

     Another person came by, "What's the matter?"

"I heard someone in here."

     Whoever decided to investigate was also one of the much younger employees. He didn't sound scared? Weirdly concerned if anything.