Self Corrupted

Every single thing leading up to this moment had to be an insane fabrication of his mind. A hallucination. This wasn't real. What was real anymore?

     Chills immobilized his body. Human eyes didn't break away from the nightmarish figure levitating too close. Light never pierced its body, absorbing it as the personification of a black void. No matter how much Thomas blinked, the paranormal entity didn't vanish or fade from sight.

     Questions burned his mind, one cutting another in a daze of pandemonium thoughts.

Was this Patton's soul? Spirit? They look like that? Then why wasn't he leaving? Spirits leave into an afterlife, don't they? Or was it all a lie: the living and dead coexist on the same plane of reality, everyone who ever saw one wasn't crazy?!

     If Patton's spirit was out in the open....oh my god he killed the poor kid—

     His chest caved in, deprived of oxygen in fleeting moments of white noise buzzing from his ears.

     The child was free? Freed that easily?

     No...

     No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO—

     Absolutely nothing proved it! The nervous system and core chip of his weren't destroyed. The kid was still trapped!

     Patton's body gave way. Rectangles and squares rearranged themselves in a glitch: resembling an animated, broken puzzle. His humanoid form clicked back. The child looked around, unaffected or neglectful about his state of manifestation.

"And where's everyone?"

     No amount of internal screaming encouraged the guard to say anything.

Coal-black hands rose again, fingers curled and unfurled, testing flexibility. His gaze fell hypnotized by them once more, observing how each movement was too quick. Too wispy. Unnatural.

"You...did this to me?" Those eerie glowing circles faced him. Patton settled on the answer, and the voices grew resentful. "You hurt me."

This wasn't supposed to be happening!

Faint and unstable, his voice tumbled out. "I'm sorry...you were trapped inside your own head and I- and I tried to fix it. I think I can still help..."

     Thomas stretched out a hand towards the living shadow. He hoped electric currents weren't still within the kid. A hyper pulse throbbed into tensed muscles, resulting in uncontrollable quivers. He swallowed hard.

"You can trust me."

A radiant grimace stretched across the blackened face. Patton whooshed away from the outstretched palm.

"Stay back." He hissed, newfound bitterness exploding forth.

Thomas kept his hand in the air, trying to sound as calm as he possibly could. His attempt crumbled into what sounded like being on the verge of tears.

"We can fix what went wrong."

"Shut up!"

"I'm only trying to help—"

"SHUT UP!" Patton distorted with every scream.

His companion lowered his arm and created a further distance from the glitching figure, reluctant to say more. The child hovered backwards as well, attention taken over by massive windows. An eerie hush burdened the air between them.