Introductions

Night 1, 12:45 am

"Like, what are the odds?! I join my friend on a sugar free diet and—boom— pizzeria offers me free pizza."

     Thomas repeatedly slammed a finger on keyboard buttons, flipping through another round of security checks on empty rooms.

"I mean, at least it wasn't you guys. I haven't bought pizza here, so I can't tell you if it's the best. But between you and me, Dominoes has a special place in my heart."

     Boredom and anxiety threatened his sanity 15 minutes ago, and rambling off to a puppet figurine slouched next to his computer eased him tremendously. The thing was mere decoration, but it provided some sort of company.

"Y'know, I tried making pizza once. Keyword: once. I literally almost burned my apartment down. Like, I think I set the timer right—and here's the thing, my fire alarm broke a long time ago..."

     He trailed off, fixated on the digital display of a small stage and its owner. His chest seized up, heartbeat cranked in velocity.

     Thomas let out a nervous chuckle and waved a dismissive hand at the screen.

"Gli—there was a glitch. Everything is rusty. They haven't changed the systems since you guys opened up."

     It was more to himself. He took in a few deep breaths, then started talking again.

"So my alarms were long dead, and I'm browsing through Netflix—"

     His finger froze. A cold sensation pivoted up his stomach. Thomas flashed a quivering smile at the robot.
"Old t-tech. Say, the 'bots are turned off at night...right?"

     The ever present smile of the puppet was his only response.

"Well, they should be." He quickly switched to another camera's view.
"Does it, like, ever occur to anyone that you guys need an upgrade? Maybe you'd like Netflix. And binge shows. I could be watching something now...hmm. Ever heard of—"

     A crash in the distance nearly made him fall off the chair. With twitching muscles, he went through all cams.
"I'll...uh..." he gulped, "...tell you about Steven Universe later."

    A shuffling near the door locked up his joints. He glanced at the smiling robot, it's outfit didn't have a speck of dust, unlike the rest of the desk.

"Hey...Candy? Can I call you that?"         
Thomas could barely hear his own strained whisper. "Cuz your cheeks remind me of lollipops. You wouldn't mind me singing, would you?"

     The shuffling of heavy metal grew closer.

"Never mind. Bad, bad idea. I need to shut up."

     Thomas got down on all fours and crawled under the desk, clutching his knees to his chest.

     The doorknob turned. He didn't dare breathe as a quaint figure stepped inside. From his cramped spot he could see robotic legs pace around, close enough to hear their gears churning and whirring.

     He shut his eyes tight. It became quiet.

     Too quiet.

     He squinted one eyeball open. Glowing, magenta eyes stared back at him.

     Thomas shrieked and pressed himself against the wall.

A smiling, metal face peered at him. White pinpricks of light shone through its pupils, cold and harsh. It's ruby hair, shiny from plastic, was the same shade of blood. A small crown stood crooked on it.