Wildflowers

Kaia was crying, which was strange for Addy. Her mom was one of the strongest people she knew. She very rarely saw her mom crying, and when she did, it was always a bit unnerving. Addy didn't really know what to do about it. "It's ok, mom," Addy said nervously, gently resting her hand on her mom's shoulder. 

Kaia nodded, wiping her tears shakily. New ones fell down her face immediately. "I'm sorry, baby." 

"I'm not a baby," Addy protested. 

"That's why I'm crying," Kaia admitted. She looked up at her daughter. They were in Adelaide's room, surrounded by three mirrors. Addy stood before her mother, feeling a bit stiff and uncomfortable. Kaia sat in a creaky chair, watching her daughter slip away from her childhood. It was strange how momentous moments like this one could make Kaia feel sad and happy at the same time. But for Addy, she was only happy. 

"I know, mom. You knew this was coming, though." 

Kaia stood, approaching her daughter and holding her beautiful face. Addy's hair was wild. Jaeda had woven silver beads into Addy's hair. She wore a simple chain that fell to her clavicle and a subtle smile on her lips. When Kaia had helped her daughter into the dress for the ceremony, the same one that Kaia had once worn years before, it made her nostalgic. She remembered how confused and nervous she'd felt that day, how the only she understood was how desperately she wanted to stay close to Kaleb. And then she was just Luna and that was that. 

But Addy, thank goodness, was not confused at all. Kaia caressed the side of her daughter's face. "Addy, I'm so proud of you. You know that, right?" 

"I know." She thumped into an embrace, nearly knocking the wind out of Kaia. Addy grinned as her mom chuckled. 

Kaia felt the future tickling the corners of consciousness, but she was largely concerned with the past at that moment. "I knew you were going to shine even when you were just a baby," Kaia said quietly, petting her daughter's golden hair. "You used to smile so brightly, so widely. And you were always so clear about what you wanted. That's never really gone away, and I'm grateful for that." 

Addy looked up at her mother's face. Kaia looked down. She saw the bits of herself reflected in her daughter, but also the bits of Kaleb and the bits of someone else entirely, pieces of the magnificent person Addy had grown up to be. "You'll take the world by storm. I have pity for anyone who tries to get in your way," Kaia said, laughing. 

Addy laughed, too. Then, unexpectedly, Addy started crying. "I'm..." Addy was surprised herself. She hadn't expected to cry today. This was a happy day, she was certain of that. But maybe it was so happy that she needed to cry to give her smile a break. It was so happy that some of her sheer joy had to overflow into what might seem like other emotions to the ignorant bystander. "I don't know," Addy managed.  

"What is it, baby?" Kaia asked, concerned. For once, Addy didn't mind being reminded that she had once been and somehow always would be her mother's child. 

"I've been waiting for today for so long, to be wearing this dress and talking to you like this. I love you," Addy said. "Mom."

Kaia smiled and her tears started anew. "I love you, too. But so does Al, and if I keep you here any longer, he may come blazing in here looking for you." 

Addy choke-laughed, still getting over the tears. "I wouldn't put it past him." 

"You've certainly influenced him, haven't you? I'm trying to imagine him doing that before all this happened." 

Addy shook her head. "No, he would gently tap on the door and whisper 'Excuse me, Addy? Are you ready? The Pack is waiting so w-we'--"

Kaia gently slapped her daughter's arm. "He would not stutter."