Reaching Out

Al woke up in pain. He felt like his spine was trying to stretch itself out and the rest of his bones were popping from their sockets. He was sweating and could barely breathe. Immediately, he knew what was happening. 

He'd spent his entire life with Addy. He'd loved her since they were young. When she was brought into the world, his life had changed. He had a new purpose, a friend. But something had changed. He still loved her, but his heart was different. He was ready. He knew that now. 

But his body knew it, too. He'd heard about this before. He'd never thought it would happen to him, but sometimes mates don't turn immediately. Something had to happen. Their hearts have to be mirrored, each reflecting the other. It made sense, then, that only now would Al change. 

Terror seeped into him. He fell from his bed, forcing his burning muscles to move. Move. He had to go. He gripped the sheets, pulling himself shakily to his feet. He leaned heavily on the bed frame, taking a deep breath before shoving himself towards the door. 

Every inch of his skin stung like a thousand bees were swarming him, waves of them colonizing his body. His vision blurred as he weakly grasped the doorknob. He coughed as it got harder to breathe. 

"Addy," Al choked. He pulled the door open, his sweat dripping down his nose. He barely noticed it as he stumbled into the corridor. The royal red carpets were just as soft as they always were, but even under Al's bare feet, he couldn't feel it. He couldn't feel anything other than pain and the sickening feeling of cool air on his burning skin. Somehow, even the cold, which should have been refreshing, felt like it was burning, too. It just made it worse. 

Al just wanted to get to Addy's room. She was alone. It was night now. There was usually no one in the hallways this late. Al didn't want Addy to have to do this alone. She was in pain right now, and just the thought made Al want to vomit. 

Actually...Al leaned on the wall and lost the contents of his stomach right there in the hallway. He gasped for air aftward, closing his eyes and breathing hard. He felt his strength fading fast. He had to be fast. 

Tears squeezed from his eyes as he pushed forward. He needed to get to Addy before he could no longer move. At least, if he was with her, it might not be as bad. He wanted her to know that he was there for her, going through the same thing she was. This was how it was supposed to happen, right? They were supposed to find each other, even through blinding pain. 

The thought of Addy was the only thing that kept him going. He slid along the wall, using it as support as he pictured Addy's devious smile. He felt her gentle gaze on him as he pushed himself on. 

But soon enough, the first bone broke. Al's forearm twisted backward as if yanked by an invisible assailant. He heard a loud snap and his vision went bright red. He screamed and sobbed. Addy!

He fell to his knees, dizziness overcoming him. But he forced himself forward anyway. He had to get to her and tell her it was going to be ok. This wouldn't go on forever. They were going to make it through together. He crawled and crawled, his arm bent out of shape. When he trusted himself enough, he tried to pull himself to his feet again. 

As he did so, the pain came again. Another wave of agony shook his confidence. The muscles in his arm felt like they were ripping themselves from his bones, tendons tearing. Al screamed again. This time, he knew that he couldn't go any farther. He could barely move now. 

His last ounce of energy was spent when he desperately reached out and grabbed the closest doorknob, twisting it and swinging the door open. He stood there suspended in the doorway, barely holding himself up. 

"Lion..." Al collapsed, but his brother was close enough to the door--probably having heard the scream--to catch him. 

"What the hell, Al?" Lionel said, alarmed. Al could see his brother's fear as if it were written in big letters on his forehead.