Something Irresponsible

Al hesitated a moment, bracing himself. He gradually slid on his emotional suit of armor piece by piece until he felt amply covered for what he was about to do. 

He knocked on the door with a tight fist, his knuckles white. "Hello?" 

The door swung open before he could even lower his arm, the following gust of wind upsetting his hair. Al stood there, shocked. 

For one brief moment, everything was just Adelaide. She stood in front of him, her t-shirt ruffled and hanging off one pale shoulder. Her shorts clung to her legs, which were solidly planted beneath of her. She stood firm, one hand on the door she'd opened, the other resting on her hip. Her hair was pulled up, but rogue bits of it rebelled against her attempt to contain them. She simply stared at him, her dark eyes expressionless. And then they changed.

Before he could say a word, Addy lashed out. Lightning fast, her fist collided with his chest. Al doubled over, clinging to the door frame to remain upright and groaning. He felt like his lungs weren't properly functioning and struggled to breathe. "Ow." 

And then Addy was pulling him upright again, guiding his body to hers gently, slowly. "Sorry," she whispered once he was tight in her arms. "You didn't deserve to be hit that hard. I meant for it to be gentler."

"I think you missed gentle by a hair," he said, his lungs starting to find their rhythm again. Addy rubbed his back. Al smiled. "I'm sorry, Addy. It hit me hard." 

"My fist?" she asked against his shoulder. 

"No. Everything with Kaleb." She pulled back, holding his arms and looking at him, her eyes searching. 

"I don't know what he said to you, really. No one's telling me. All I remember is seeing you sprint away from me," she said, "so obviously it wasn't nice."

She let go of him, striding across the room. Al watched her, uncertain of where he was meant to stand or what he was meant to do. "I misunderstood him," Al said, closing the door gently behind him before leaning against it. 

Addy stood by the window, her back turned to him. "You overthought it? You worried too much? Hm. Didn't see that one coming."

"You're angry." 

"Yes." 

"I brought something for you," Al said quietly. She turned and looked at him. She never could resist a surprise, which was funny because Al usually hated them. "Come over here, and I'll give it to you." 

"You come over here, and I'll let you give it to me," she answered. 

Al smiled and obeyed. He walked slowly across the room, not taking his eyes off of her. She was so stunning. He could see so much potential in her. She would do great things as Alpha, and she would look like a goddess doing it. That was just Addy. 

Al stood close to her, so close that he could feel the mate bond shivering in the air between them. "Here," he said. He held the flower from the field between them, twisting it between his thumb and forefinger. 

Al caught her tiny smile before she could hide it. She took the flower, letting their fingers touch slightly. He felt a hint of beautiful hope invade his arm from where they touched. Addy was his sunlight. He would wither away without her. He knew that now more than ever. She tucked the flower behind her ear. 

"Looks good on you," he said. 

"I know." She went to sit on her bed, sighing. "It's funny. I do like flowers. They're beautiful. But while you were gone, I went looking for you. I went to our tree, to our field. The flowers looked so dull." She looked at him, her gaze intense. There was something about the way she was looking at him that made him shake slightly. It was the good sort of nervous. "I realized that I only really like flowers when you give them to me."