Christmas Morning

Lyra did not want to wake up immediately on Christmas morning. She and George had been out later then she had realized the night before. They even had to sneak back into the castle much to Lyra's dismay. George, of course, thought it was comical, especially when they had to cram into a small broom closet together.

It wasn't until Hermione threatened to get Ginny to come get her up that she finally did. She glared at Hermione.

"Well, there's not much point in staying with us if you're just going to sleep through all of Christmas!"

Lyra smiled she was right. "Are you sure you're not just overexcited for your big date tonight?" Lyra asked. Hermione blushed and threw a present at her.

"I don't like how much the twins are influencing you." She scolded, but there was a smile on her lips.

All the other girls in Hermione's dorm had already left so she and Lyra opened their presents in peace. From her friends, Lyra received a little cactus from Neville, a book about quidditch from Harry, chocolate frogs from Ginny, and extra potion ingredients from Hermione. From her father she received a book all about owls.

The last present was from her mother. She picked up the long slender white box gingerly. Hermione looked up from her own sorted pile of presents. "What's that?" She asked.

"I don't know," said Lyra "It's from my mom..." she pulled loose the ribbon bow and slid the top of the box off. They both gasped. A beautiful royal blue dress lay folded in the box. A note folded on top of it. Lyra plucked it up and unfolded it.

Dear Lyra,

I know you were just planning to wear the dress from our second cousin's wedding. But I remembered you eyeing this one when we went to Diagon Alley. You were to polite to ask for it, you always are. But I could see how much you fell in love with it. I hope your date appreciates how beautiful you are in it my loving, growing girl. We love you and miss you and hope you have a merry Christmas.

-love mom

Tears began to form and trickle down Lyra's face. She clutched the box tightly to her chest. "Lyra what's wrong?" Hermione asked. She handed the note up to her. Hermione scanned the note quickly. Her heart-melting. "Oh, Lyra that's beautiful. Your mom must be really wonderful."

Lyra laughed and wiped her tears away "She's the most amazing person I know."