The Meeting

Lyra woke early the next morning.  To her surprise, she was not in her bed but in a blue chair by the fire of her common room. A large men's jacket was draped over her and she blushed. Someone must have carried her back last night.

She ran up to her dormitory and quickly got ready for the day. She looked at the jacket that she draped on her bed and bit her lip. Who's was it? She wondered blushing again. It would have to wait.  She had a meeting with professor Flitwick this morning and she didn't want to be late. She tucked the jacket into her backpack and was on her way. 

After breakfast, which consisted of only a couple pieces of toast, Lyra headed back up to the west tower. She knocked on the door right to the entrance and her a squeaky voice beckon her in.

Professor Flitwick was sitting at his desk having some tea. He smiled as she entered "Ah Mrs. Stone! Come have a seat dear. Would you like some tea?"

She smiled, sliding in the seat across from him. "No thank you," she said softly "I just had breakfast."

"Very well, let's get down to business. I'm sure you know why I asked you here today?"

"Is it about my grades sir?" She said a little fearfully, she knew her defense against the dark arts grade was considerably lower than the rest of her grades.

"Well yes, but more specifically your future. Lyra, you've been advancing at an alarming rate, and to be perfectly honest I think you'd be at N.E.W.T level by the end of next year."

Lyra's mouth dropped open "R-really?"

"Yes my dear," he said with a smile "To be perfectly frank you are advancing past most fifth-year curriculum right now, and we are only in November of your fourth year. I've talked to Dumbledore as well as your other teachers and we'd like to set up a new accelerated course. Now I don't want an answer from you yet. I want you to think long and hard about this because it won't be easy. "

Lyra nodded in understanding but she already knew what she wanted.