Chapter eight: Gold

Scarlet let the waves relax her entire being. The experience with the slave traders and now with Coriakin had been an eye-opener. She was elated being back in the old Narnia; she felt as if she was home, but every time she went back it seemed as if the dangers they were facing became more dangerous. But then she also realized how far they had come each and every one of them. And with that she also realized how empty Narnia felt at the same time without Peter and Susan in it. The two youngest and Eustace were left, and they had to stick together, and they had their older relatives' legacy to live up to. They each had new roles to fulfil.

"There's no sign of anything living." The noble mouse continued.

"Right," Caspian replied, "Well, once we get ashore, take your men and search for food and water". The four of us will look for clues."

"Hang on," Eustace intercepted in disbelief. "You mean the five of us."

Scarlet looked to her fathers' cousin with a dumbfounded look while the rest of the boat had turned to look at Eustace in a disbelieving manner. She could guess what Caspian or Edmund's face must have looked like.

"Come on," Eustace continued pleadingly, "Please don't send me back to the rat."

"I heard that." Reepicheep drawled dryly from the other boat.

Eustace glanced in the mouse's direction before turning away, muttering something unclear to Scarlet's ears.

"I heard that too." Reepicheep replied in a semi-offended tone of voice.

The members of the boat in which Scarlet was situated all looked at each other, sharing similar grins and chortled at the mouse's reply, all the while Eustace looked moodier by the minute.

Once ashore, Reepicheep's boat with most of the crew and Dirian began unloading whatever they had brought with them. They had gone ashore on a part of the beach which were in between two cliff sides. The beach itself was very flat and besides from the beginning of the shore, it was free of loose stones as well.

Scarlet had begun looking around as she noticed that she hadn't seen Eustace since they all began pulling the boats out of the water. An uneasy feeling started to settle in her stomach, but she was also at the same time tired of worrying about Eustace wandering off all the time. It wasn't in his nature to be all that curious, especially here in Narnia, so she decided to shrug it off for the time being. He would appear soon enough when he got bored with hiding from them.

"Scarlet, let's go." Caspian called.

Scarlet promptly nodded before she took a quick look at her weapons. She wasn't going to battle; it was only a search, but she felt unprepared if she didn't bring her weapons. But they would at the same time weigh her down if she brought everything. So she decided to bring her sword just as Lucy, Edmund and Caspian. By then, she approached her father and husband. 

"Look, we're not the first ones on this island." Caspian said as they had been walking for some time. Scarlet could feel that the air was thinner as they were walking up and down several cliffs in the bare wasteland. It had also begun to become windy and they too had found out that the island was like a volcano island. Sometimes, fog or hot air would shoot up from the smallest crack in the earth.

"The lords." Edmund concluded as they too saw what Caspian had seen. A rope had been tightly bound around a cliff consolidation popping up from the ground. The rope led down through a slim hole in the ground.

"Could be," Caspian replied as he looked down into the deep hole. As the rest of them joined his side, the Narnian king picked up a stone and let it fall into the deep underground. The stone hit the edges of the hole a couple of times before it hit the bottom a couple of seconds later.