Chapter five: Growing up

Scarlet looked around her, noticing her dad working on his new sword and Caspian was working with a map. Her father's cousin was a very strange boy Scarlet just couldn't wrap her head around. She couldn't currently see him, so either he was hiding out somewhere on deck, or either he was hiding out somewhere beneath deck – both scenarios had one material thing in common; Eustace Scrubb's beloved notebook. Whenever Scarlet seemed to catch sight of him, he was nearly always writing in that thing.

Scarlet's head then shot up at Tavros' amused laughter from one of the standings near her. "He's talking to birds!" The minotaur laughed wholeheartedly before a crew member chimed in, chuckling while giving Tavros' chest a light slap, "He's mad as a loon, that one."

Scarlet then let out a giggle. Found him. Her giggle proceeded to a chuckle when Tavros in continued amusement landed a rather forceful but friendly slap to the crew member's back, causing the crew member to crumble and nearly tumble over the railing with a grunt. 

"So this is where you've been hiding." Scarlet looked up to see the tall and lean figure of Caspian stand above her, a playful, boyish smirk playing on his lips. Three years had gone by, so there would undoubtedly be changes about the both of them, but Caspian was just..peculiar. Besides from the obvious and visual changes like the nineteen-year-old being taller and his voice deeper, there was his mood swings which really sent Scarlet reeling, a most recent example of the evening before still burning fresh in her mind.

She smirked as Caspian helped her up, kissing her softly.

That smirk however faded as soon as Eustace came tumbling out from one of the cabins with a long knife in his hand, not looking in front of him, causing him to run straight into Tavros, a couple of others and finally Scarlet, sending her tumbling into Caspian who caught her but not before she collided with his chest and she let out a hiss of pain. 

"Watch where you're go-..." She tried to start, but was cut of by Reepicheep's voice. 

"Trying to run away?" Reepicheep's stern yet taunting voice shouted after the boy as the mouse passed them in an obvious pursuit of the despicable boy.

"What has he done now?" Scarlet sighed before looking towards the mouse and the boy. A ghost of a smile, however, came across her face at seeing Reepicheep so easily toying with Eustace.

"Are you all right?" Caspian asked concernedly. Scarlet looked up at him swiftly, a pained smile crossing her features before she motioned to the commotion a little bit in front of them. "I'm fine, Caspian"

Caspian huffed, a satisfactory smile lighting his face up at seeing Reep force Eustace to fight him by jabbing at his stomach causing the boy to shrink away each time, "That was for stealing, that was for lying."

Scarlet laughed when the mouse proceeded to slap Eustace with the orange, "And that was for good measure." The mouse then laughed as Eustace finally began jabbing away at him, and failing miserably, "That's the spirit! We have ourselves a duel. Catch."

Drinian caught the orange easily, a smirk evident on his else stoic face, Scarlet's shoulders shook as she tried to contain her laughter while Edmund and Caspian didn't even try. The crew gathered around here and there with amused smiles and gleeful eyes all around.

Scarlet held a hand up to her mouth as she couldn't keep the laughter in anymore from seeing Reepicheep humiliating Eustace so comically, so without thinking she turned around and buried her face in Caspian's chest, her shoulders continuing to shake. 

"Stop flapping your wings like a drunken pelican! Poise!" Reepicheep's frustrated voice rung out. The comment caused Scarlet to laugh out loud, although it was muffled because of Caspian's chest.