Chapter three: Get off of her!

They were almost by the Lone Islands by sundown, so Caspian, Edmund, Scarlet, Drinian and Lucy had gathered at the front of the ship on a landing where you could see pretty much everything. The Lone Islands contained several cities by the coast with surrounding a wilderness, all of which always had belonged to Narnia.

"The Lone Islands. The port of Narrowhaven." Drinian introduced.

"Strange." Caspian said, handing a Narnian version of binoculars towards Edmund who took it gracefully from Drinian. "Not a Narnian flag in sight."

Scarlet's brows furrowed, and an unease immediately settled inside her. The Lone Islands had always been loyal to Narnia.

"But the Lone Islands have always been Narnia's." Edmund spoke confusedly before he took a look himself. Exactly.

"Seems suspicious." Drinian spoke.

"It's definitely worth checking out," Scarlet commented. "With caution," she added. Edmund looked to Drinian and Caspian and confidently said.

"I say we prepare a landing party."

When there were no immediate response, Scarlet looked confusedly towards Caspian and just managed to see the glance he shared with Drinian.

"Drinian?" Edmund questioned when no response came.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty.." Drinian spoke carefully, "but the chain of command starts with King Caspian and princess Scarlet on this ship."

"Right." Edmund replied. Scarlet could hear the slight shock and disappointment in her father's voice. Edmund had opened up fairly much to everyone since they returned from Narnia the first time around, but the smallest quirks, the levels of his voice – the smallest things that would give away his mood when he was closed off was perhaps only known by Lucy.

''We'll use longboats," Caspian finally spoke up. "Drinian, pick some men and come ashore." He ordered.

"Aye." Drinian agreed.

"Tavros." Caspian spoke, nodding to the minotaur. As he walked past Scarlet, she smiled at him as he gave her shoulder a squeeze. The smile, however, faltered just as soon as Drinian and Tavros walked away.

"Man the longboats, furl the sail and prepare to drop anchor." Tavros shouted. And turmoil and talk followed beneath them.

"Are you okay?" Scarlet questioned Edmund softly as she put a hand on his shoulder, although he was taller than her.

"Never better." Edmund replied, a hint of bitterness evident in his voice although he tried to hide it, as he lightly shook her hand off him and he turned around and walked down the same way their companions had.

Scarlet's hand lingered for a second before she dropped it slowly to her side. It stung when her father closed off to her, but it happened. Which was understandable, before he left they only had four days to get to know one another. Scarlet closed her eyes regretfully and sighed, taking a few breaths in and out before she followed her father.

When she descended the stairs she was met by Caspian, who smiled at her as he handed her sword to her.

"I thought you might like to hold onto this." He smiled before kissing her and walking past her again. Scarlet smiled gratefully at him although he was in a rush. But then she met Edmund's eyes who had been watching them from afar. His facial expression didn't give away much, but Scarlet could feel the tension coming from him in waves. He looked away quickly again, leaving the teen aching.

"What was that look about?" Scarlet turned her head as Lucy walked up to her with a concerned look on her face.

Somehow, Scarlet got 'lucky' and ended up squished between Caspian and Edmund. Reepicheep stood at the very front, holding onto the small cleft while Lucy and Eustace were placed in the other end.