Chapter 1

This is going to be interesting, Dr. Grant thinks as she studies the couple in front of her. They are visibly - and equally - nervous. Their hands are clasped together in their laps, and their legs are crossed. The brunette woman appears more at ease, but Dr. Grant has seen and treated enough patients to know when to look for other signs. The clench of her jaw and the shifting of her gaze tell her more than her seemingly relaxed pose.

She watches the blonde woman steal glances at the brunette, every so often, and it doesn't take a genius - or someone who graduated on top of her class - to figure out she's the guilty one. Or feels like she's the guilty one. Dr. Grant has seen her fair share of gaslit patients. But the brunette woman doesn't seem like an abuser, and yes, looks may be deceiving, but Dr. Grant's intuition has never failed her.

She gives them another quick onceover. The blonde is chewing on her lower lip, and the looks she's throwing the brunette are increasingly lingering. Longing. The brunette is mostly staring ahead or at Dr. Grant's forehead. Occasionally, however, her eyes meet her partner's, and there's the smallest smile on her lips that the blonde anxiously returns.

Dr. Grant wonders. It might be a cheating case; but her gut tells her there's something more to it. Something deeper.

"So," she clasps her hands together, giving the pair a warm smile. They tentatively return it. "Miss Woods and Miss... Griffin, is it?" She doesn't miss the way the blonde woman flinches at her name.

"Just Clarke is fine," she rushes to correct her. Dr. Grant nods.

"Of course." She expectantly looks at Miss Woods next.

"Lexa. It's, uh, Lexa."

"Okay, good," Dr. Grant nods again, allowing her smile to grow. "Nice to meet you both, Clarke and Lexa. My name is Katherine. I'm very glad we decided on first name basis right away. It helps with establishing trust between us."

The way their eyes widen before they glance at each other and look away at the word trust tells her everything she needs to know. It doesn't particularly matter under what circumstances their trust was broken. All she cares about is that it is, and they are here to repair it. She only hopes it's not too late.

"Why don't we start with you telling me a little about yourselves?"

Lexa sits up a little straighter on the couch. "Would you like to go first?" She quietly asks Clarke, who looks mildly nauseous at the thought.

"Oh, no, it's okay, you can go first."

"Are you sure? I mean, I don't mind--"

"Yes, I'm--"

Dr. Grant hides a grin when they stop, abruptly, and try to conceal their own amused smiles. Clarke's eyes catch Lexa's, and smiles fade, little by little, as they hold each other's gazes; and all Katherine can think is poor kids. Before her, she sees hurt, desperation, guilt, and underneath it all, love being exchanged with a mere glance, and -- she really, really hopes it's not too late.

"Why don't we go clockwise, if that helps?" She watches both women blink and slowly look away to concentrate on her. For a second, she feels almost guilty for intruding on what looked like a private moment. She has a feeling they have those often. "Lexa, let's start with you."

"I'm not very good at talking about myself," Lexa says quietly. And -- Dr. Grant noted that before, but it becomes more and more prominent with each second. Miss Woods is a strikingly beautiful woman, from the sharp cut of her jaw to the brilliant green of her eyes. But then again, so is Clarke. They make quite an eye-catching couple.