Malyssa's Birthday

(As told by Kayla Venston)

Right after I wake up at six thirty in the morning, I turn on my phone. I dial Malyssa's number and wish her a happy birthday.

"Thank you!" She replies.

"What do you plan on doing today?" You wonder.

"Jeremy says he plans to take us out to dinner. He didn't say where."

"When's your next practice with your symphony choir?"

"It's in the middle of September."

"Do you know what you'll be doing?"

"Not yet."

"Dad and I plan to come visit you guys if it's alright with you."

"Oh, definitely!"

"Awesome! I'll see you this afternoon, Sis."

"Talk to you later. I love you Mom!"

"I love you too sweetheart! Bye."

Ethon and I eat breakfast shortly after I hang up the phone. Then we head to North Bend to see Malyssa and her family for her birthday. I reflect on what happened thirty-two years ago today. I remember how I looked at her big, puffy cheeks, stroked her soft, golden blonde hair, and when I got to stare into her big, green eyes for the first time ever.

I then recall when Beaudry and Spencer met Malyssa, held her, and promised to always protect her, love her, and cherish her. Every time I look at that picture of her and the boys that was taken by my mother in the delivery room, I always think to myself, "this is the purest thing I've ever seen in my whole life."

When we arrive at Malyssa's house, Ethon takes her gift out of the car, which is a pot for her begonia flowers. We head inside to say hello to her, Jeremy, and their two daughters. Malyssa is now seven months pregnant with Reider.

Malyssa doesn't say much at all, unless she is spoken to. I go up to ask her what's wrong.

"It feels so empty without Spencer here with us. I haven't been willing to trust God's plan for us. I felt like I was on top of the world until just two months ago. I can't believe I'm thirty-two years young now, and I've been looking back just to see how far I've come. But today, I'm left missing one of my greatest role models, my brother, the man known as Spencer Kenneth Venston. I miss his voice, laugh, smile... everything."

She opens up her voicemails and has me listen to one Spencer left her last year for her birthday. I put my hand over my lips.

"Hey yo, Lyssa! I hope you can call me back soon, because I wanted to talk to you and tell you happy birthday. I hope your thirty-first birthday was AMAZE-BALLS, kiddo, but just stop growing up already! I hope your birthday gift from us made it today, and if so, tell me what you think. I love you to infinity and beyond, baby sissy!"

Malyssa wipes her tears away and adds, "It's so crazy how hearing someone's voice, seeing someone's face, and thinking about all of the memories of that loved one who is dead brings you so much comfort, but also brings you so much hurt. Jeremy and Spencer were like brothers to each other. Braylee and Tessa are devastated!"

"Braylee was just talking to me about Spencer the other day. She called me and told me, 'Nana, I don't wanna lose you too! What will I do without you?' I told her, 'one day or another, I WILL die. There's nothing you or I can do about it. When I die, I will be sure God keeps his hands on you and protects you until the day you die. Your mummy and daddy will also see their lives come to an end one day. I don't know the future, but God does. I don't know why Spencer had to go when he did, but God does!'"

"Grandparents deserve to live forever. When Grandpa Judd and Grandma Cynthia died, they both took a part of my soul with them. It's going to hurt deeply when Grandma Ann and Grandpa Hudson go too! And when you and Dad die, I'm going to die right along with you. When you die physically, I will die emotionally."