.10

Jane's chest grew tighter as the clock ticked on, the time in which she dreaded inching closer and closer with each second. She had not moved from the pastel yellow chair since lunch time - a good few hours of patience had passed. The television occupied her for a while, but she eventually grew tired of the commercials and went on with something else; something she wished she never had done in the first place. Stashed inside a magazine next to the chair on a table were the letters Paul thought he had hidden so expertly, but it didn't take Jane very long to find them. For the rest of the day, Jane closely inspected each letter... mocking each sentence, scoffing, and trying her best to ignore how smitten this woman appeared to be. Being in a relationship with a Beatle, she had come a long way to ignore the overly excited fans, but something about this created a great deal of dread inside her -- she knew he had to have been responding... probably in the same manner as this mystery woman was. 

     Throughout the intense analyzation of each letter, Jane had managed to lose track of time and around eight o'clock, the front door was pushed open and a dishelved Paul came through the threshold, mumbles emitting from under his breath about the rehearsal and all of the ideas he had running through his mind at the moment. Jane perked up and sat up straighter, the heartbeat that was once calm now racing since she knew she had to be the one to blindside him with this. What else could she do? No woman would let her significant other have a relationship of that nature with someone else, especially in the midst of an engagement. As she saw him brush by the doorway to the living room, she cleared her throat and a moment later, Paul came walking back slowly into view. 

     "Hello, darling... How are you?" Paul asked very sweetly as he walked into the room, a bit winded from rushing around to get into comfortable clothes after a tiring day of work. He smiled at her, his brows raising as he went over to her and he leaned down to kiss her forehead, to which she simply held her hand up and he took a step back, confusion now spreading across his features.  "What is it?" He asked, unaware of her findings. 

     Jane rolled her eyes underneath her eyelids and a sigh pushed past her lips. "So nice of you to join me here... You do realize that this is the first time you've come to speak to me before going straight to bed in a week?" She asked him, her straightedged jawline protruding as she looked up at him. She stared for a moment, her eyes narrowed slightly as she tried to word what she wanted to say in her mind. It was a lot harder than she had thought. She reached over and grabbed the magazine and she handed it to him. "Turn to page sixteen," she told him, the tone of her voice a bit flat considering the situation. 

     Paul's heart sank the moment he laid eyes on the magazine and he knew what was coming. All he could do was take it to open it up, and sure enough, the letters nearly fell from the pages before he grabbed them and he sighed. "Fan letters... That's all," he tried to say, but Jane just shook her head. 

     "Since when have you kept letters hidden away? Especially from women..." Jane went on, her foot tapping at the ground out of anxious habit. "And not to mention the fact that she sent you a photo... But I haven't found it," she added, to which Paul stiffened up. "Where's the photo?"

     "I lost it," he answered quickly, knowing he could never admit to her that he kept the photo on his person and that it was in his pocket as they spoke. His head shook and a chuckle left him as he rubbed the back of his neck for a moment. "Sweetheart, there's nothing more to this... I know what you're thinking but it's wrong," he told her - his gut twisting and churning since he had not ever lied to her so blatantly before, but the thought of his relationship publicly crashing with her seemed incredibly harder to deal with than by telling a lie.

     "This is how it's going to be?" She asked, her voice quieter than before as she slowly stood up to face him. Her heart was pounding now since she could no longer sit by and pretend to be oblivious.  "You're choosing to continue to lie to me?" Her voice was beginning to grow shaky the more her nerves were worked up, and she knew that she couldn't allow herself to have a breakdown now, but she wasn't sure she could stop herself either. She stared at him for what felt like hours, her gaze blank and cold as she processed it all.

     "Jane, I -"

     "Oh, save it," she finally spoke up, her voice cracking in the slightest as tears filled her eyes and she brushed past him in a brisk walk.

     "Now where are you going? Jane, darling, wait," Paul said, feeling a bit frantic since he wasn't positive as to what she was doing. He followed her out of the room and into the hall, but once she was on the stairs to head to the bedroom, she turned around and stared at him again, the tears becoming harder to hold back.

     "Leaving for a while... Until I find out what I want to do," she told him, her voice monotonous as she tried her best to hide her shattered heart. "That's all," she added in a quiet voice before turning around and making her way up the rest of the steps to go pack up her bag, and also leaving Paul standing there - ashamed, but... motivated

A/N:

Hiiii, sorry for any typos or words that don't sound right or what have you. I haven't wrote in a good while, so this is extremely rough, I know. I hope you all enjoy it though! Thank you all so much for the continuous support and love for this story!