prologue (.00)

the smooth fold of the ivory envelope pressed gently to his nose, allowing himself to indulge in the sweet scent of perfume and amber as it warmed his skin to the touch. just the idea of her fingertips folding the paper inside and the tip of her tongue wetting the seal sent languid goosebumps down his spine and up the back of his neck.

he didn't have the heart to rip open the enclosure, but god did he want to. it felt like eons since he last saw her delicate cursive strewn across a cream-colored piece of paper, even though he knew it had only been a few days since her last reply came in the mail. instead, he slid the tip of his index finger underneath the fold and began pulling it apart as properly as he could. he liked to save the envelopes alongside the letters that would come in them.

once he had completely unsealed it without a single rip, he glanced over toward the door; looking underneath for any pumps that he may have bought standing there. he had told a story to his fiancé that it was simply fan mail, but oh -- it was so much more than that. he saw that the coast was clear before he turned his attention back to the now-opened envelope that contained his next high; her.

his fingers pinched the paper and slid it carefully out of its pouch. instantly, a smile stained his lips as he took notice of the soft-pink lipstick imprint on the top right corner of the paper after he had diligently unfolded it. a smooth titter tumbled past his plump lips as he shook his head at it. now she was just teasing him.

brown champagne hues read over each line, what he imagined to be her voice reading it aloud in his head as he did so. it wasn't near as long as he wanted it to be, but he would take anything she gave him at that point. anything she ever wrote intoxicated him in a way that no drug could ever come close to. he felt a bit bad, however, because he knew that his fiancé could never make him feel that way even if she tried.

he set the letter down and pulled out a piece of his own paper and the pen he had used for writing only to her with. without even hesitating, he had already began.

     my dearest victoria,

but that was all he got to. a knock nearly startled him into spitting onto the letter, but he got himself together as quickly as he could before it got to that. he looked over, underneath the door and sure enough -- a pair of red pumps he had just purchased a few days ago were standing just outside. he looked at the doorknob as he gradually tucked the letter underneath a pile of song sheets. "hm?"

"dinner's ready, love." came softly.

"i'll be down in a moment, jane." he answered back before he capped his pen and stood up. he turned the lamp off and waited until he knew she had retreated back downstairs to open the door and head down himself. he was a little on the hungry side after all.

❝ let me roll it ❞ ▷ paul mccartney.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें