.01

"darling," a turn of the head and a grin broke a thin line as a slim hand patted the back of their hair, "i absolutely adore it! oh, it's just what i had asked for!" excitement dripped from the lighthearted words. "you're an angel, victoria. an absolute angel."

the paying customer's words made victoria mindlessly grin. she wasn't too sure if that was because she would be pleasing yet another customer or because of the possibility of a rather generous tip. the latter was a bit conceited though - and she was trying to train herself not to be so selfish. her precisely manicured fingertips ran through the lady's freshly styled hair as she looked into the mirror at her smiling face. "i'm real glad you love it, miss delilah. i always look forward to seeing you walk in here every couple of weeks, you know." she unbuttoned the cape that was strewn around delilah so her hair wouldn't stick to her clothes before she leaned down to her ear, her eyes still trained on the mirror so she could watch her reaction. "you're just about my favorite customer, i think... but don't tell anyone that." she winked as her grin simmered into a haphazard smirk before she stood back up and tossed the cape to the floor.

delilah's grin stretched even more as she gave victoria a nod. "you can count on me, sweetheart. my lips are sealed." she pulled the cliché of zipping her lips up like a zipper before she 'tossed away the key.' she stood up from the chair and turned around to give her hairdresser a snug hug; something that she used to show her gratification. "three years of haircuts and you haven't let me down once." she let her hand pat victoria's slender shoulder gently before she walked toward the front desk where a receptionist sat.

"remember to keep an eye on those ends, miss delilah! if they get bad, just give me a call." the blonde's hand waved at her last customer of the day as she leaned down to pick up the cape that was freckled with bits and pieces of wet hair before she gave it a good shake so the remnants would fall to the floor. she diligently folded the cape into a clean square before she laid it down in the chair. usually, there were about two other hairdressers working the same shift as victoria, but since she was the owner and boss of the salon, she decided to be generous and give them the day off since it was a monday. she knew mondays weren't ever entirely too busy, and she knew it wasn't anything she couldn't handle herself. of course, she needed the help of the receptionist, but that was expected since victoria didn't work too well with numbers at times.

"holly?" victoria called from her station just after delilah had walked out of the door after paying. she waited until she looked at her before she flashed a soft, sentimental smile. "you can go home now. there aren't anymore appointments, right?" she glanced up at the clock upon the wall to check the time. it was still an hour before she normally would have closed up, but it was a slow day and all she had yearned to do from the moment she woke up was to go back to bed.

holly shook her head after she had studied the calendar for a brief moment. "no, ma'am. none t-"

"ma'am? come on... you're two years older than me, holly!" she snickered as she shook her head.

the receptionist cracked a smile. "i'm sorry, victoria... i forgot for a little bit, you know. you just look a little older than twenty-four today for some reason..." she stood up and grabbed her jacket from the back of the chair she had been sitting in for the majority of the day. "i think it's those shoes. since when did you wear pumps?"

victoria looked down at her brightly colored heels and shuffled them a bit as her bottom lip poked out in thought. "what, you don't think they go with this dress?" she looked over at holly as her hands gestured to her outfit. she was clad in a full, checkered knee-length skirt that was black and white with a black short-sleeved tee was tucked into the skirt and held there by a tightly secured belt.

"hm..." holly hummed as she studied it for a moment. "flats would've suited it much better, i think." she smiled politely at victoria before she made her way out from behind the desk and wandered over to where the blonde was to give her a hug. all of the employees at the salon were rather close. "you look beautiful either way, though. i'll see you tomorrow morning, and don't forget that we have a busy day, so please -- drink your coffee." a blithe giggle slipped past holly's red-tinted lips before she gave one final wave to victoria and walked out of the salon, leaving her all by herself.

she spent a few minutes sweeping up the hair that she had knocked onto the ground before she went over to the front door and locked it, just to be sure that no other wandering customers would come in. it wasn't that she didn't want to help people's bad hair days, it was just that her hand had been cramping terribly from handling those scissors for hours on end. once she had locked it, she made her way toward the reception desk to take a seat, but not before she let her finger switch the radio on. that part was a nightly routine and it was simply to unwind after a long day's work. she sat down just as a song was finishing up.

letting all knowledge of being a lady slip by, she brought her legs up and rested her pumps on the desk as she let her hands rest in her lap as she let her eyelids start to ease to a close while she listened to the nonsensical commercials. she was just about to slip into a state of complete relaxtion until, suddenly --

"want to write to a beatle?"

woke her up entirely. the man's voice was chipper and he was nearly yelling. she didn't mind though, she had always been a fan of the beatles. she brought her legs down so she could reach over to turn the radio up just a bit.

"write a letter today for a chance to become a pen pal to a real beatle! no, not the ones with a thorax, sillies!"

she listened intently, her brows furrowing at the offer. the man gave an address to send the letter to, but she soon scoffed as it ended. "probably just a rip off." she muttered to herself, shaking the thought out of her head. she brought her legs back up on the desk before she glanced at the clock once more. it was just about six o'clock and she could tell she was getting hungry due to the faint rumble in her gut. "so much for relaxing..." she mumbled under her breath.

she brought her legs down again and she turned the chair a bit so she was facing the pile of papers and the calendar that was on the desk, and she almost immediately spotted a clean sheet of paper with a pen resting on it. she froze to stare at it... should i? the man's voice from the radio echoed through her conscience as she looked at the vulnerable paper just sitting there - waiting to be used. "i... shouldn't." she told herself repeatedly. she figured if she sent it, not only would the stamp cost her money, but she wasn't sure if there was some sort of overseas fee to deal with. she really had no idea, and she didn't want to get her hopes up only to find out it was only a hoax.

she shook her head at the paper and pen before she brought herself to stand up and walk toward the back closet of the salon where she kept her purse and coat. once she had acquired all that was hers, she turned off the bathroom lights and started toward the front to turn off the other lights and to make sure the door was locked. after she had settled everything, she turned and began walking toward the back exit, but something caught her eye. she stopped in her tracks and stared at the pen and paper again, the twilight aurora shining onto just those two things. how odd.

"oh..." she huffed, stomping over to the desk before she almost violently snatched up the pen and paper. what could it hurt? if she didn't get a reply back, she wouldn't be upset... she would only tell herself i told you so. as for stamp fees, what would a couple of cents do?

she headed out the back door and began walking home, which was only a few blocks away. she had no plans for the night, but she knew now what she was going to do. "eat... something decent, and then... then," she couldn't bring herself to say it out loud to herself, it was so crazy sounding to her. write to a beatle.