Chapter-43

I'm so late with this that I can't even apologize 🙈 

--

Surbhi had a spare key to Nakuul's apartment. Her charming and considerate boyfriend had told her that she could go to his apartment any time she wanted, regardless of whether he was there or not, if she ever felt the need to. So far Surbhi hadn't had occasion to use it but this evening, it was almost vital that she do. With just one week left for the functions to start her house had been hijacked by relatives and her room was now where all her aunties sat down to gossip about everyone else. In the morning before leaving for work, Surbhi had stuffed a few clothes and other essentials into a bag and announced that she wouldn't be back home till tomorrow evening. In all the conundrum, no one had had time to ask for an explanation. And at this point, no one really cared. Surbhi had already taken care of all the work that had been assigned to her and right now all she needed to care for was herself. There were dark circles under her eyes and her face visibly showed all the stress she had been taking lately. Surbhi had a feeling that a night with at her boyfriend's place would do miracles.

Greeting the guard of the building who knew her pretty well by now, Surbhi made her way towards the elevator to take her up to his penthouse. It was locked as she had expected since Nakuul still had a few hours till he would be back. Surbhi switched on the lights of the house and slumped down on the sofa. She was exhausted, and not just physically. The thought that in a week her sister wouldn't be in the same house as her, just down the corridor, was taking a mental toll on her too. The wedding itself was exciting to think about but the days that lay beyond it...not so much. Sighing, Surbhi rubbed her temple to soothe the slight headache, before giving up. Only coffee would be of any use at this point. That, or an Advil as last resort.

Moving to the kitchen, Surbhi set up the coffee machine and waited for it to brew. Nakuul had a maid who came for a few hours during the day and cleaned the entire house and even sometimes made dinner when he wanted, so Surbhi opened the fridge to see if there was something to eat. Other than a bottle of milk and a few fruits and vegetables, it was empty. Hands on hips, Surbhi contemplated what to order in for dinner, before a better idea struck her. She had cooked for Nakuul a long time back, a simple lunch of rajma-chawal when she had come to visit for a while. He had loved it and licked the rajma off his fingers. So tonight, Surbhi would cook again for him again. A perfect surprise for her boyfriend who was working his ass off at practice these days.

After a cup of coffee and a long hot shower that had washed away her fatigue, Surbhi was ready for some business in Nakuul's well-furnished kitchen. It was funny that she should have brought any clothes at all, unnecessary too, because ultimately, she had ended up raiding Nakuul's closet and putting on the most comfortable t-shirt she could find. It smelled like detergent with a hint of his unique scent and Surbhi was highly rejuvenated as she proceeded to make dinner for the two of them. She had decided on something simple. Well, it's not like she knew how to prepare too many dishes, but whatever she did cook, she did it well. A paneer dish, with dal makhani, his favorite garlic naan and a simple pulao would suffice. There still a couple of hours for him to get back, so taking a deep breath, Surbhi washed her hands and got to work.

--

Surbhi was just adding tarka to the daal when her phone pinged. All the other dishes had been prepared and were sitting on the kitchen countertop in glass bowls. She had to admit, she was quite proud of her work. Not only had she managed to finish it all in time, the food actually tasted great. If only her acting career would permit it, she would dedicate more time to cooking because after all, practice makes perfect. After adding the spices, she picked up her phone. It was her boyfriend, who had just gotten done with practice. He had no clue that his girlfriend had finally managed to make use of the key he had entrusted her with and was waiting at his house, will a fully-prepared dinner, for him to get back. Surbhi giggled. Nakuul Mehta had no clue how different this night was going to be than his otherwise boring ones usually were.