Chapter-42

Celebrating Holi with the now extended family had been a lot of fun. The Chandnas had gone over to the Mehtas' in the morning, partaking in their Puja and playing with colors in the little garden they had. For lunch, Mrs. Mehta and Mrs. Chandna had cooked together—a mixture of Rajasthani and Punjabi dishes. They celebrated the festival in splendor, glad that their childrens' love had brought them together. It was only in the evening, after relishing on some gujiyas and mathris with tea, that the Chandnas got up to leave. Surbhi was allowed to stay back after Nakuul promised her father that he would drop her home after dinner. Even after all this time, he was intimidated by Mr. Chandna, who still treated Surbhi like his little princess.

After the Chandnas along with Praachi and her family left, and Mr. and Mrs. Mehta retired to their room to rest after a tiring day, Nakuul and Surbhi went up to his room and lay cuddling on the bed. It had been only a week since he had arrived, and after the one-month separation, they couldn't get enough of each other.

"I'll pick you up at 9 tomorrow morning?"

They had decided to attend Rohit's Holi party at his farmhouse the next day.

"Sure. I'll have to get up so early to get ready, ugh."

"It'll be fun though," Nakuul chuckled.

"I know. I'm super excited. I've had my outfit ready for days."

"Jaan, you do realize we're going to play Holi, right?" Nakuul asked, amused. "It doesn't really matter what you wear."

"Of course it does!" Surbhi rebuked. "You won't understand."

Nakuul only shrugged his shoulders in surrender.

"Did you like your gifts?" He asked after a while, caressing her soft cheek. Surbhi smiled widely.

"Loved them. Mum and di were elated that you'd gotten them gifts, too. Dad only nodded when I gave him the cologne, but I could tell he really appreciated it."

"Thank God," Nakuul sighed. "I just hope I can manage to win uncle's heart in, I don't know. The next ten years or so."

"Oh come on," Surbhi laughed, hitting his chest. "My dad loves you, he just doesn't show it. I mean, di is going to get married in a few weeks, and Sanjay jiju is still scared by dad's glare when he drops di home late. He's just being the typical angry father to his daughters' boyfriends."

"It's just not fair," Nakuul whined like a child. "My parents adore you like you're their daughter and I'm your boyfriend. Why do I always get this treatment?"

"That's because you're not as lovable as me," Surbhi said, sticking her tongue out. Nakuul narrowed his eyes at her, before rolling over and pinning her on the bed. She yelped as he started tickling her sides.

"That's what you get for being so lovable," Nakuul said, before replacing her giggles with his kisses.

--

True to his word, Nakuul was at her doorstep at 9 am sharp. He had dressed in a simple white kurta-pajama, with his aviators on, and looked dapper even in that simple look. Surbhi, for her part, looked beautiful in her plain sleeveless white kameez and patiyala pants, with a dupatta draped over her shoulders. She looked like a gorgeous Punjabi kudi and when Nakuul told her the same, she replied haughtily that this was why what she wore mattered.

Rohit Sharma's farmhouse was on the outskirts of Mumbai; a beautiful posh bungalow with a large garden at the back. When Nakuul and Surbhi arrived, the party hadn't started yet. They greeted all of their friends and sat down for a delicious breakfast of pooris fried in ghee and served with aloo ki sabzi; oily kachoris and samosas; and gajar ka halwa to finish it off. Rohit's wife, Ritika had managed everything very well, and Surbhi saw herself doing the same in the distant future—arranging such parties for Nakuul and her friends.