Chapter 3: The Doctor

Magsimula sa umpisa

Edith jumped up from the bed, running towards the bathroom and applying the fastest makeup of her life, not even bothering with her eyelashes. A nice Queen T-shirt and denim jeans later and Edith was ready to face whatever the school had to offer her.

"Come in." said the blonde, still tired. The teen cleared her throat and watched as the tall man entered her room, carrying a suitcase and a stack of papers with him.

"Sorry, I thought you were awake already." he smiled and laid the objects on the desk near the window "Jean informed me that your powers were still developing, could you elaborate?"

Edith wanted to, but she couldn't. She didn't know what was going on.

"Uh, I mean, I don't know. I can do different stuff I guess." Hank McCoy nodded and smiled, taking notes "Mr Taylor always thought it was like, I could affect things I can touch. It doesn't make sense, I know-"

"It makes perfect sense, dear." Professor Charles Xavier wheeled into the room afterwards, smiling warmly at the teen. She felt a little calmer seeing him there"It's a good thing we could save you, here you can find the way to control everything and anything you can do."

"What can I do?" she asked herself.

"That, we'll you discover." Doctor McCoy interrupted, removing his round glasses and putting ones much different, kind of high-tech, Edith didn't understand nor bothered to figure them out "Do you mind using your telekinetic habilities?"

Edith nodded, looking around the room while she adjusted her wide shirt. It was really comfortable, in the last year Edith had never used anything that wasn't the Hide uniforms the Boss provided her. It was a comfort being able to use normal clothes again.

Edith's mind wandered as she felt everything around her room, every particle, every atom. It was an overwhelming sensation that made her feel extremely powerful and self-aware. She had never concentrated so hard before (not even when Mr Taylor was the one helping her out), wanting to impress the older men and provide enough data about her powers. She was clumsy, she knew. Every time she even tried to lift something it just swayed awkwardly. Edith wanted to do it perfect this time, she owed them that much.

"Edith, take it easy." Charles Xavier snapped her out of her thoughts.

The teen took a deep breath and fixed her attention on a shoe laying in the mess that was her room. She scanned it, black and comfortable. She had only wore it once, Jubilee gave it to her along with the rest of her clothes. Edith closed her eyes as she felt her energy take ahold of the shoe. It was always a weird feeling. Like an invisible hand that appeared from her head and wrapped a bubble around the object. With a sigh, the shoe started levitating. Edith moved it up and down, left and right, only struggling when she tried to make it turn.

"Impressive." Doctor McCoy's voice snapped her out of her trance and the shoe fell to the ground with a thud "You do not affect what you move. You affect everything around it."

Edith frowned, tilting her head in confusion.

"You control gravity." Professor Xavier nodded with a mysterious smile "Impressive indeed."

"What?" Edith's eyes widened. She didn't know what she was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that.

Edith's power always made so much sense to her, but no one had given it a name. She felt happy as if watching the pieces of the puzzle that was her life match up one by one.

"Doesn't explain the force fields, though." Doctor McCoy shook his head "Can you...?"

Edith nodded and closed her eyes once again. She tried to grasp at the comforting feeling of the energy. The light. She pictured how natural it was, how safe she felt. The sweet taste of vanilla returned to her lips briefly as her mind awkwardly lost track of her thoughts when Kurt's face crossed her memory. Edith opened her eyes and coughed with discomfort.