Chapter 30: Milkshake Memories

Seth's POV

The creaking of my door being slowly pushed open pulls me from my light sleep. I wipe away the layer of crust holding my eyes shut and little by little manage to open my tired eyes. The corners of my lips curl upward as I watch my mom enter my room holding a red velvet cupcake topped with a lit candle. 

"Good morning, Mom," I mumble my voice still groggy from sleep. 

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear, Seth! Happy birthday to you!" she sings even though every single key is off she doesn't fail to bring a smile to my face. 

"Thank you."

Sitting on the edge of my bed she hands me the delicate cupcake before reaching over to hug me. Pulling herself out of my grasp she cups my cheeks in her warm hands and looks up at me with her emerald eyes. 

"I can't believe it. My baby is eighteen years old today." She brushes her fingers against my cheeks keeping my head firmly in place. Looking deep into my mother's eyes I watch as her happy spark starts to drift away.

"What's the matter, Mom?" I quietly ask. 

Tears start to pool clouding her eyes in this near-glassy look and her hands drop from my face settling in her lap. "It's nothing, honey," she mumbles while shaking her head. 

My mother has never been one to hide her emotions she can try and deny them but she can't hide them, especially from me. Sighing I set my cupcake on my bedside table. "It doesn't look like nothing." Her head drops casting her gaze toward my blanket, and I have to grab her shoulders to get her to look back at me. "Please, Mom, just tell me what's wrong."

She stays silent for a brief moment whispering, "I just wish your father was here to celebrate with us." 

The all-too-familiar feeling of dread rises from the pit of my stomach and I have to pull back the tears that want to exit my body. If I start crying then she definitely will. My mom has never gotten over my father's death because after all, it's hard enough losing the love of your life but it's a whole other thing being next to them when they die so suddenly. My father died in my mother's arms, and it broke her. I can't let her fall into another spiral right now. 

Resting my hands on each of my mom's shoulders again I give them a gentle squeeze. "I wish he was here too, but I know he wouldn't want us to wallow in our grief... especially on someone's birthday." 

Slowly her smile starts to return and she uses the sleeve of her jersey to wipe away the odd tear that managed to escape. "You're right, honey, he wouldn't want us to make your birthday about his death." A spark flies through her eyes and she almost jumps off of my bed while releasing a small gasp. "I almost forgot," she reaches into the pocket and pulls out a small box, "I know you said you didn't want anything for your birthday, but I had to get you something small."

Chuckling I take the small box and lift the lid open revealing the small gift inside. A wide smile graces my lips as I pull the leather bracelet out of the box quickly taking note of the silver flame charm hanging from the black straps. 

"It's amazing, Mom, thank you."

Pulling her into another hug I hear her mumble a 'you're welcome, honey'  under her breath. The sizzling of a flame going out and the smell of smoke snap us out of our embrace. Glancing back at my side table, I wince when I see the candle on my cupcake had completely melted decorating the icing with a thin layer of wax.