Like a Daughter

Začať od začiatku

"Sounds like a good plan." Highmuster says and pats my shoulder. "Have a good day, and good luck with Cook and riding lessons."

"Thank you, and you have a good day as well." I say as we both exit room and begin towards the servants quarters.

(Cook's POV)

I look at the trunk that Jake had brought down to my room. It has been many years since I have opened it, and I smile. Oh how I had longed to be able to have this chance, and thanks to Elphaba I will, hopefully.

A quiet knock pulls me out of my thoughts. I turn and open the door giving Elphaba a smile. "Hello Elphaba. Please come in."

"Hello. How are you this morning?" She says returning my smile.

"Very well, deary. Now I am sure you wonder what I wanted to see you about, and how it is related to helping you find a gown for your wedding." I state more than question as I decide not to beat around the bush, and get right to the point.

"Well, yes, of course." Elphaba nods. "I was wondering, and I'm assuming you plan to tell me."

"I do, but first I want to share something with you. Please sit down." I motion for her to take a chair near the fireplace, and as she sits I begin. "Many years ago I was married to the man of my dreams, Jacob. He was a farmer and worked hard to make sure I had everything I could ever want or need. I really only wanted and needed him.

After a year or so we decided we wanted to have children. It wasn't long before I found out I was pregnant. We were so excited and worked hard to get everything ready, and that winter our son was born. We named him Everett, and boy was he a handful!"

Elphaba chuckles a little at this. "Aren't most little boys? I remember my brother Shell had been quite a handful as well. It was my responsibility to keep him out of trouble as well as take care of Nessarose." I see a sadness flicker in her eyes when she speaks of her sister and brother, and I can tell she loved them. "Please go on. I didn't mean to interrupt."

"It's no problem, dear, " I say giving her a comforting smile, and continue. "When Everett was about fifteen months old I have birth to another son, Fletcher, and his twin sister, Sarabeth. We were thrilled!

The three of them were close, and not just age wise, but family bond wise as well. Besides the bonds of siblings they were the best of friends. Everett and Fletcher protected Sarabeth from anything and anyone who tried to hurt her. Life was perfect, and my husband and I couldn't have been more proud."  Elphaba remains silent and just smiles.

"Then when the twins had turned twelve our world was turned upside down. War broke out in our land and it was decreed that every eligible make thirteen and over must join the military. That meant Jacob and Everett had to go. They had two days from the time the law was given to check in at the militia headquarters. Unfortunately, that meant we had just hours together before they had to leave.

Fletcher swore to his father and brother he would protect Sarabeth and myself, and be the man of the house. Sarabeth was distraught at having to say goodbye to her brother and father, and as Jacob and Everett rode off we stood and watched unit they were out of sight.

I prayed daily that the war would end soon and they would return to us, but it was not so. We lived for the letters from Jaboc of Everett. They had begun being stationed together, but then Everett was sent to the front and Jacob sent to the far Western side of country.

All too soon it seemed Fletcher turned thirteen, and because the war was still ongoing he too had to go to the fight. The day he left Sarabeth changed. She had become sick, and convinced she would never see her twin brother again. It broke my heart to see her so upset.