Something's Lurking

Start from the beginning

"Depends." Asher pinned me with a stern stare that had me rolling my eyes. "Whatever. Fine."

"He's been more or less flirting." Asher confessed; complete repulsion of the fact perfectly displayed across his features. I stood abruptly, ready to confront the fucker, my hands clenched to knuckle turning white fists, and a muscle thumped in my jaw. My lip curled in both disgust and anger.

How dare he approach Asher of all people, after what he did to my first mate? Did he think I would let it slide? That I would be so weak and afraid; so consumed with guilt and grief that I won't fight back?

If so, he better think again.

"West!" Sky reprimanded sharply, pinning me with a firm stare that said I shouldn't do anything drastic. "As I've said. We can't be sure he knows. Confronting Teddy about Asher will only give it away. I understand you want to defend your mate-"

"It's not just about that, Daniels." I snapped, tilting my head down to meet Asher's gaze. I could see the heartbreak in his eyes; how much he was hurting for the pain I felt. The abject horror and fear. "I can't let it happen again..." I trailed; my voice soft as I quietly plopped back into my seat.

Sky and Jace frowned, as well as Laken and Dale. Outside of my small circle of close friends and family, only Asher knew about what truly happened to Bentley.

The test results from the autopsy.

I kept nothing from him. As a fourth-in-command and mate to a beta wolf with demons that followed like leeches, he needed to know all these things to better protect himself because he knew what to expect.

If they ever got their hands on Asher, I would tear them apart limb from limb. I would give in to the darkness, that violence-craving monster I had been before he waltzed into my life.

It would be worth it to indulge in the madness once more. To even the odds and settle an unavenged score.

"Please don't do anything." my mate pleaded, his knee brushing against mine as he turned his body to face me.

How can he ask that of me?

He knows what those assholes put me through. For they did to Bentley. And now Teddy is approaching my new mate and flirting with him.

It was Bentley all over again. That cunt had done the same thing to him before he took complete advantage to have his way during that raid.

And he was just one of a few.

"At least...for now?" he reiterated. I nodded after a moment of thought. Temporary, I can do. And while I am afraid of the consequences of exposing our relationship to the public, I know it won't be forever.

Sooner or later, we'll have to go public because within a year, Asher was to be coronated as the new fourth-in-command.

**

"It's too convenient." B concluded, turning back to his homework assignments.

Tucker, Zain and I visited B at the rehab centre once every week. It had become routine, and since B wasn't allowed social media or even a cellphone- via his grandfather's request- he had to rely on the employees informing him of his visitors in advance.

He was only ever allowed the internet for research purposes.

His grandfather, Kosta, had managed to pull a few strings and gotten the school and the centre to work hand-in-hand, allowing B to continue training as a fourth-in-command wolf, and his studies so that he would graduate with his rightful year.

A tutor would come in five days a week, they would cover the specific topics and B would be assignment homework to be completed by the next tutoring session. He did all of this on top of a million other things he needed to recuperate.