The Way Things Are

Start from the beginning

Mr. Dalton, surprisingly, wasn't anywhere in the mix. I was expecting to see him in the crowd of students either parting fights or barking at students. But my thoughts were answered a moment later on the principal's whereabouts when the firm female voice of our vice principal came through the P.A. system.

"Attention all members of staff, please escort all male students to the auditorium. Mr. Dalton would like to have a word with them. Classes have been dismissed for the rest of the day. All female students, freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior, you are kindly requested to leave the school premises within the next thirty minutes. All boys, please forward to the auditorium immediately. We kindly ask that all male members of staff ensure that no male student escapes the premises until further notice. Thank you."

Well, doesn't she just have a way with words? We sound like prison escapees during a prison riot.

**

"I have tried to be reasonable. Fair even." Mr. Dalton barked at us. Glancing around the auditorium, most of the students had their heads lowered in shame. They were mainly from the lower school while the juniors and seniors couldn't give two flying fucks, openly glaring their hatred full-throttle at each other.

"This is beyond ridiculous." The principal added, pacing on the auditorium's podium, back and forth. It was obvious he was past his tolerance level and he had no idea what to do. "I have half a mind you expel you all. But I can't do that, nor can I suspended half the school. But, we can do detention."

The auditorium was deadly silent now, so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The lower school was now staring at their principal out of fear for the coming punishment while the upper school simply rocked back and awaited their sentence.

"To be quite honest, I'm truly disappointed in the senior class. I expected better of you all seeing as you are the older students. The ones who set examples for the younger students." Mr. Dalton scolded, brushing a hand through his hair. "There are a few students I want to have a word with. When I call your names, you'll follow your VP to my office. Wait there for me. The rest of you will remain here until the bell goes for the day's dismissal."

Several students groaned in annoyance, but Mr. Dalton was quick with his remark, a smug smirk in his tone. "That's right. You're spending the day in detention."

One by one, Mr. Dalton called the names of the students he wanted a word with and unsurprisingly, Asher and I were also on that list. It was a large group, consisting mainly of juniors and seniors, most being werewolves from Marcana, Lativa, Black Rock and Blackwater. The few humans whose names got called were obviously that fucking piece of shit -Brent fucking Harper- and his cronies.

"Blake! In my office as well!" Mr. Dalton shouted at his son, who bristled, trying to go unseen, futility using me as a shield. I pushed him away. I'm already in enough trouble, I don't need to get in trouble over principal's son, too.

Blake grunted, glaring at me. I shrugged helplessly, a sly grin curling my lips as he slumped his way out of the auditorium.

We were brought into the office by groups. Brent and his cronies in one group because they were mainly humans and we had to be careful not to expose our kind to the human populace. The next group consisted of Teddy, Davin, and a few others from Blackwater who I knew, either they or their parents, had sworn allegiance to Tobias.

The final group was still pretty large. It consisted of the guys from Marcana, me, a few Black Rock warriors who were trained by Bennett, and our allies from Blackwater including Tucker. Even the faculty had noticed the divide in the school. A percentage, though small, werewolf and human had allied themselves with those who followed Tobias. Whereas the other werewolves came from the packs loyal to Marcana simply because Black Rock now had them as our strongest ally.