The Way Things Are

Start from the beginning

The force of Asher's push sent them tumbling into the next pair of boys who just so happened to be Tucker and one of Brent's cronies. Turning my gaze over to Syl, our eyes locked, and he knew exactly what was required of him because a moment later, he started making his way toward me. That was my job every time there was a fight where Syl got caught. Asher could hold his own- even if I didn't agree to leave him alone- and I would be forced to get Syl to safety.

However, just as I reached out to grab hold of his arm and pull him away from the crowd of fighting bodies, he was yanked away from me. He let out a startled yelp, his eyes going wide with fear and a low growl emanated past my lips as I turned to pin the bastard with a glare. But, I quickly schooled my expression when I realized it was Tucker who had grabbed hold of him, his arms wrapped protectively around the small boy, his body shielding Syl from the others. And Syl, finally recognizing who held him, relaxed in Tucker's embrace and allowed the dominant to pull him to safety and out of the corridors that were currently in chaos.

The girls stayed huddled away from the chaos; some were even screaming at us to stop this madness. Well, we can try but I don't think we can.

I dodged just in time, stepping out of the way as a Blackwater wolf came at me. He was one of the few whose parents had allied themselves with Tobias Corbin and thus, he followed in their footsteps. He was a sophomore too, but he was pretty tall and packing a lot of muscle. He packed a mean punch, too and I couldn't help but deflate at the idea that he was loyal to Tobias. We'd have more power on our side if we had him.

The sophomore cursed, stumbling forward but he found his footing and spun around to face me. He charged forward, swinging his arm up which I blocked only to realize it was his intention as he brought the ball of his palm up into my nose. Grunting, I stumbled, touching my fingers to my nose, feeling something warm begin to leak out. A drop of red sat on my finger pad. My lip curling, I reacted without thinking, growling threateningly when I caught the smug light in his eyes.

My hand shot out gripping the front of his shirt making him stumble back but I pulled him forward, driving the same fist into his chest. He fell wonderfully in my trap, caught off guard and wheezing from the one-inch punch. My left fist connected perfectly with his face, crushing his nose. The boy grunted, snapping his hand to cover the blood spurting from his face. Gripping his shirt, I turned and shoved him forward into a stampede of on coming reinforcements.

Thankfully, they were on our side and had actually showed up to part fight. It didn't last long though, as they quickly began fighting back, hitting twice as hard.

Someone bumped into me making me act on reflex to steady the person, the feeling of a dull electrical shock shooting through my arm and chest. I immediately linked my arm with his, trying to pull him to safety just as another Blackwater wolf came at Asher. My mate growled, looking ready to fight as he peeked out from behind me. But I'm not letting him get hurt any longer.

The guy lunged forward, and I sidestepped, taking Asher with me. We had successfully dodged his attack, but at that same moment, he swung around in an attempting to land another punch, his fist flying wildly. However, he didn't follow through when the shrill sound of the school's fire alarm cut through all the ruckus we were creating. Many of them stopped, separating from one another, or groups assaulting a singular boy quickly dispersed.

The sound of the fire alarm died down after a minute or so, still there some stragglers hoping to carry on a fight. By then, most of the boys had either separated with male members of staff acting as physical barriers. They stood strong, submissive and dominant males, against the male student population. Some teachers had students in their grip, others forced to back down under the menacing, stern glares of their superiors.