21. If I Make It Home Alive, My Dad Is Going To Kill Me!

Start from the beginning

I admit I probably should've been more focused on getting as far away from those guys as quickly as possible. But I was really curious to know just how BADLY I'd SCREWED UP by losing Dad's comic book!

"See, boss? It's worth five thousand dollars!! And even more if it's in excellent condition!" Tucker grinned proudly.

$5,000?!!!

I felt like I had just gotten sucker punched in my gut!

"BOO-YAH! There's nothing like easy money, boys!" Ralph exclaimed. "Tucker, why didn't you say something before I smacked you with it? I could have damaged this VERY valuable comic book on your CONCRETE HEAD. Now hand it over!"

"Wait a minute!" Tucker protested. "You said we'd get a cut of ALL the merchandise. And that includes this comic book! So for now let's just leave it right here on this table for safekeeping."

Just great! Those thugs were stealing the school's computers AND my dad's $5,000 comic book!!

I turned around and started crawling back through the vents as fast as my arms and legs could carry me!

I went fifty-five yards and made a right turn, and then I went another thirty yards and made a left.

I ended up in a long corridor with no vent openings. It was the perfect place to stop and rest.

All I could hear were the faint muffled voices of the men still arguing about the comic book, and my heart pounding in my chest like a bass drum.

Beads of sweat dripped off my forehead, and my hands and knees were stinging from the friction of crawling.

I sat up, hugged my knees, and closed my eyes. I was starting to feel really light-headed. That's when I suddenly realized I was holding my breath.

Okay, Crumbly! Get a grip! NOT breathing will make it kind of difficult to stay alive. I took two large whiffs from my inhaler and tried to breathe deeply.

The only thing WORSE than being locked in the school alone after hours?

Being locked in the school after hours with three RUTHLESS burglars! All intent on ripping my face off! This was some serious stuff!

Where were the hall monitors when you REALLY needed them?!

Somebody had to stop those crooks. But, unfortunately, I was the only "somebody" around.

My gut told me to step up and be a hero. But my lungs were like, "No way! There are three of them against one of you. So let's just go hide out in our safe and cozy locker until these criminals pack up and leave!"

Um, okay. I'll admit my lungs had a valid point.

Yes, I was a totally useless coward. And I didn't have six-pack abs like Thug Thurston.

But I DID have BRAINS and my trusty inhaler. I'd made it to level forty-nine in the Valiant Knights of the Galaxy video game in only three days.

And I was pretty much an expert on superheroes and villains from reading hundreds of comic books.

But, most importantly, I needed to try to get my dad's comic back before he realized it was missing and strangled me!