Chapter 4

Kokichi was absolutely ecstatic when the final bell rung out. On any other day, he would stick behind a few minutes to wait for the outflux of students to leave, but today was mall day

Students were allowed to leave the premise during the weekends, so Kokichi and his friends were always prepared to take advantage of their scarce freedom. Kokichi especially loved being away from school. He hated how the environment made his lungs heavy, and god forbid the bullying. 

He rushed down the crowded halls, a big smile on his face. He wondered if Saihara had beat him to their dorm. 

As he entered the room, he saw a note on his bed with no sign of Saihara. Curious, he picked it up.

Hey Ouma Kun!

I figured you didn't want me to invade your space while you changed, so I went to Amami Kun's room. Hope that's ok. Can't wait to see you! I'd like to talk later as well. 

                                                                                                                            -Saihara Kun

A very official sounding note for something as basic as changing in another room, Kokichi thought to himself. We usually change in the same room, did I ruin his view on me that much...? Kokichi frowned. He didn't want to worry about this on his favorite day of the week. He wouldn't let misinterpretation ruin his fun, right...?

He changed into his skinny white ripped jeans and his baggy Nagito Komaeda hoodie with the number 55 on the back. He smiled at himself in the mirror, trying not to think of how disgusting he was. He ran his hand through his messy black hair. He really wished that he wasn't so painfully average. He slapped his cheeks. 

"Self-confidence, remember? Rantaro will scold me if I don't at least put in an effort."Kokichi said to himself, grabbing the checkered bag that he had filled with extra clothes and his sketchbook. He slung his polaroid over his head and exited his dorm. 

Arriving at Kaede's room, he walked in. He knew she wouldn't hear him if he knocked. 

"'Akamatsu San! I-I'm here!" Kokichi exclaimed, scanning her poster covered dorm. She had the pleasure of having her own dorm, unlike the male population at the school. Suddenly, Kaede's bathroom door flung open. Kaede was standing there, tears falling down her cheeks.

"Akamatsu San! W-whats wrong!" Kokichi said as he rushed to her side. 

"M-my s-stupid family told me that they were out of town for the weekend and locked me out. W-we can't have the sleepover... I'm sorry..." Kaede sniffled, trying her very best to speak straight. Kokichi awkwardly walked her over to her bed, putting his shaking arm around her back.

"H-hey! Uhm, d-don't c-cry! W-we can have it at my h-house...!" Kokichi said, hesitation in his voice. Kaede gave him a look, causing Kokichi to avert his gaze. Yep, they definitely couldn't go to his house, not after what happened last time...

"I c-can't believe t-they left without m-me... I'm t-the kid t-they didn't fucking want, but still..." It was weird seeing Kaede cry and be self-loathing like this. Kokichi knew she had depression, but he never understood why. She was sent here so that her family didn't have to deal with her, just like Saihara. He was sure there was something else, though. 

There was a loud knock on the door, signifying that Saihara and Rantaro had arrived. Kokichi glanced at Kaede, who wiped her tears in an attempt to conceal the fact that she was crying. He wondered if they should just postpone... 

Kokichi got up and opened the door a smidge, seeing Rantaro and Saihara. Rantaro was wearing his baseball T and his sweater that hung over one shoulder. Saihara was wearing his signature Kirigiri shirt, and surprisingly, wasn't wearing his hat. Kokichi hesitantly opened the door, allowing the two to enter the small dorm.