28. Lovesick or Stupid?

Start from the beginning

Anyway, Xia Chun who was the Crown Prince back then, still investigated and found out that the unborn child of Princess Liu Qing turned Imperial Consort Liu Qing was indeed an imperial seed.

Unfortunately, their Imperial Father succumbed to a scheme by their brothers before Xia Lian Bei was born and Xia Chun was left with no choice but to fight and win.

The Consort Dowager Liu Qing had a rough pregnancy because of all the commotion and her weak body couldn't survive the strain of giving birth.

Since then, Xia Chun protected this brother well but the child couldn't escape the harsh reality of being an unwanted prince.

Still, he wanted the best for his little brother. And according to Xia Chun's standards, the best wife for his imperial brother was naturally someone he, as the Emperor himself groomed since young.

Feng prince more or less knew what his imperial older brother was thinking so he narrowed his eyes at him.

"What makes Brother Emperor think that this brother doesn't want?"

"Well who was it that refused to go home for three years? And when he returned, he even brought home a consort and four concubines? Now you're still refusing to send a proposal to Yin family. What do you want Zhen to think?"

Xia Chun didn't even bother to hide his teasing tone anymore.

Prince Feng raised his index finger and shook it. "Correction, there are only three concubines left. There was a rotten tomato among the bunch so this prince had to throw it away. Courting death by scheming against my little treasure!"

"Oh?" was the Emperor's only reply while raising an eyebrow in a taunting manner.

"Do you know one of the rules of the Yin family?"

Xia Lian Bei only stared at his brother so Xia Chun continued. The Emperor wouldn't let go of the original topic.

"For the sons never to accept a concubine and for the daughters to be wedded as the only wife."

Hearing this, Feng wang's bewitching face slightly contorted. Of course, he knew!

This rule was the reason why he accepted concubines in the first place. He was furious with Yin Hua Lei at that time to the point that he wanted to make her suffer once she entered his palace or better yet, never to be married to him.

Seeing his younger brother's reaction, the Emperor stepped up his game.

"Zhen remembers having a sincere talk with Xiao Lei some time ago. She told Zhen how foolish she felt for pining for Our ninth son when he already has his favorite person. Since then, Xiao Lei behaved and followed Our advice. Zhen was so happy that We gave her the Royal Princess title."

The Emperor already put the bait, now it was time to cast the line.

"If you're really reluctant on marrying her then Zhen will grant your wish. Alas, We should not wrong Xiao Lei either. Zhen recalls that Grand Tutor Meng has a son who doesn't have a single woman in his courtyard. Indeed, Xiao Lei deserves such a faithful man. What's his name again, Min Tong?"

Emperor Du Liang turned to his eunuch but before Min Tong could answer...

"What son of Grand Tutor? Yin Hua Lei can't marry a simple scholar like that person! And even if she married to that family, what about Bao Bei? She still has a daughter to raise ah!"

What a good trap his imperial brother had laid! Xia Lian Bei couldn't help but smile in a way that bared his canines.

The Emperor wanted to snort in anger. "You really won't willingly admit that Xiao Lei's the mother of your child if Zhen didn't squeeze you this way, huh?"