Eighteen

"Sick?" Aomine asked.

Seijuro nodded. "It's best that she rests for the rest of the week before going back to practice," he said.

"But... Shizu-cchin will be okay, right Aka-cchin?" Murasakibara asked.

Seijuro nodded. "It's just a flu, though she has a very weak immune system so it would take time for her to heal even with medications and proper rest," he said.

"First years!" Shozi Nijimura, Teiko team captain, called as he clapped his hands to catch their attention. "Less talk, more jog,"

"Yes, captain!" They answered and started doing their rounds of jog around the gym.

After a few rounds, their coach called in a five-minute break before starting a few sets of rounds.

"What is it, Shintaro?" Seijuro asked as he glanced at Midorima.

"Nothing," Midorima answered, aware that Aomine and the others were listening.

***

Midorima stood just behind Seijuro as he sat beside a hospital bed where Shizuka lay, pale and deeply asleep.

"This was the second time, right?" Midorima asked.

Seijuro nodded. "I tried to tell her to get treated abroad, but..."

"She loves you too much to leave you," Midorima said.

"But if anything were to happen to her—" Seijuro cut his own words when Shizuka's finger flinched, a usual sign of someone waking up from slumber.

"Shizuka?" Seijuro called gently, holding her cold hand.

Her oxygen mask fogged as Shizuka took deep breaths, her eye lids slowly fluttering open. "Nee... chan..." she whispered.

"I'm here," Seijuro said, "D-do you need anything? Does it hurt somewhere?"

Despite her pitiful situation, Shizuka still mustered to smile. She glanced at Midorima and greeted him. "Hello... Shin... chan..."

"No need to acknowledge my presence, Shizuka," Midorima said, "I'll call a doctor, excuse me,"

"Why are your brows furrowed, nee-chan?" Shizuka asked Seijuro.

"You scared me," Seijuro said, combing Shizuka's hair. "Why must you always scare me like this?"

"Sorry," Shizuka said, chuckling.

"This is the second time this year," Seijuro said, "I don't understand why..."

"I don't want to leave you, nee-chan," Shizuka said, "I hope you understand that it would make it worse for me if I leave you behind,"

"But you won't," Seijuro insisted. "You'll still come back, once you're well... and then we can be together again,"

"Once I'm well," Shizuka repeated. "What if it doesn't happen?"

"It will," Seijuro said.

"Excuse me," their doctor and Midorima's father, Setsuna Midorima, entered the room with Midorima.

"How are you feeling, Shizuka?" The doctor asked, glancing on his clipboard.

"She seem to be having a trouble breathing, is that normal?" Seijuro asked.

"Yes since her body experienced massive shock before falling unconscious," he answered. "Will your father come tonight? I need to talk to him,"

"Why?" Seijuro asked, worry enveloping him. "Is there something wrong?"

"Honestly, there is," Dr. Midorima said, glancing from his son to Seijuro. "But I'd like to discuss it with your father present, Seijuro,"

"I don't think he'll be arriving tonight," Seijuro said bitterly. "His business trip is too important for his children,"

"I won't be asked to stop managing the basketball team, am I, uncle?" Shizuka asked.

Even before they entered Middle School, the Akashi clan have been familiar with the Midorima clan despite the fact that they live in different regions in Japan this was because Ayako knew Setsuna and had endorsed her daughter's condition to him, knowing that he is one of the best doctor there is. Therefore, having their sons and daughter be familiar with each other.

"Not really," Dr. Midorima said, "But I do have to warn you that your attacks have been frequent, meaning you've been under a lot of stress,"

Seijuro opened his mouth to speak, but Shizuka beat him to it. "I won't quit being the team manager," she said, "I'll just get more stressed if I just watch you,"

Seijuro sighed. "I wasn't going to tell you to quit, because I know you wouldn't listen," he said. "I really don't have much of a choice,"

"Then, I'll leave you three," Dr. Midorima said, "After we've done our tests and confirm that you're all alright, you can be discharged,"

"Thank you," Seijuro and Shizuka said.

"So... what happened during training earlier?" Shizuka asked as if she had not just woken up after a seizure.

"Seijuro met someone interesting," Midorima answered.

"Interesting?" Shizuka asked, "Is better not be a girl, nee-chan,"

Seijuro smiled at her. "Of course not," he said, "But I've finally met our Sixth Man,"

***

"You've been gone for a week," Kuroko said as he and Shizuka stayed at the gym where Shizuka spent most of her time since Momoi's already had the first stringers handled on her own.

"I was sick with a flu," Shizuka answered while Kuroko continued the drills Shizuka gave him.

"I'm sorry to hear that, are you alright now?" Kuroko asked.

"Yes, thank you for asking," Shizuka said.

"Hey, Tetsu! Sorry I'm late," Aomine said as he entered the gym, his bag slung across his body as he held a basketball. "Oh? Shizuka, what are you doing here?"

"Dai-chan," Shizuka greeted then glanced at Kuroko. "Wait, so you've met Te-chan?"

"Well, yeah," Aomine answered.

"He actually more of screamed at me when he entered the gym," Kuroko said, making Shizuka laugh.

"Oy, Tetsu!" Aomine clicked his tongue. "It's because Satsuki told me that there was a ghost in this gym, and I thought it was Tetsu,"

"Shouldn't you be old enough to believe in ghost stories, Dai-chan?" Shizuka snorted.

"Very funny," Aomine grumbled. "Anyway, how did you meet Tetsu?"

"Hmm? Oh, I've seen him first on the first day of school and finally got the chance to talk to him after Nee-chan made you ran those laps the other day," Shizuka said.

"I see. Wait..." Aomine said, realization dawning. "You've seen Tetsu? Despite his lack of presence?!"

"Well that's because you're not very observant to your surroundings, Dai-chan," Shizuka said, making Aomine scratch his nape in embarassment.

"Maybe," Aomine admitted.