Seventeen

Shizuka huffed in frustration as she walked around school. She and Seijuro had a fight after he saw her holding a ball and trying to play with Aomine during break.

Aomine got punished by running laps for the rest of the remaining time of the training because of this and Shizuka couldn't help but feel sorry for their ace despite the fact that he said that it was okay.

Shizuka loves Seijuro so much, but sometimes, he can be as strict and as hard as their father and that side is was Shizuka hated to see. She knows he's only protecting her, but... she feels more frustrated with him fussing around telling her what she can't do.

Shizuka stopped in front of the other gym and decided to stay there since she's still pretty mad at Seijuro for what happened. She stopped at her tracks, though, when she saw someone already occupying the gym— a teal-haired boy, about 168cm tall, and has a petite build for a basketball player. But he held the ball like how Aomine does despite his lack of basic skills in dribbling.

"Hello," Shizuka greeted, slightly startling the teal-headed stranger.

"Hello," he greeted in a monotonous tone.

"I didn't mean to startle you," Shizuka said. "I'm Shizuka Akashi, nice to meet you,"

"O-oh... it's okay," he answered then bowed at Shizuka respectively. "I'm Tetsuya Kuroko,"

"Say," Shizuka said glancing at the amount of basketballs laying around the court, "You're in our third string basketball team, aren't you?"

"Hmm? How did you know?" Kuroko asked.

"It's my job as team manager," Shizuka said. "Why are you practicing here alone?"

"The other gym is pretty crowded," Kuroko said, "Besides... the other stringers probably won't know I exist so I wouldn't be able to practice properly,"

"Hmm?" Shizuka said, confused. "Is it because you lack presence?"

Kuroko nodded. "I actually was a bit surprised when you were able to notice me," he said, "You're probably the first to do so, I guess,"

Shizuka bent down and got a basketball lying around the court. "Maybe it's because... you have more presence that you think you do," she said.

"Sorry, but... I don't know what you mean," Kuroko answered.

Shizuka smiled. "I'll call you Te-chan from now on, okay?" she said, tossing the ball to Kuroko who clumsily tried to catch it but ended up losing grip on both balls.

"T-Te... chan?" Kuroko asked.

Shizuka nodded. "I'll also start practicing with you," she said, "In exchange, you let me stay here in secret,"

"Secret?"

"Nee-chan doesn't really approve of me playing basketball," Shizuka nodded.

"Nee-chan? You mean... Seijuro Akashi-kun?" Kuroko asked, earning another nod from Shizuka. "Is he your older brother?"

"Twin," Shizuka corrected. "But he acts as if he's older than me so I'm fond of calling him nee-chan,"

"I see," Kuroko said.

Shizuka giggled. "You don't talk much do you?" she said.

"Sorry, but..." Kuroko said, "I'm still in shock of how fast you noticed me,"

"Hmm... let's just say I'm extra observant," Shizuka said with a smile. "By the way, try some footwork exercises while dribbling the ball. That way you'll have more grip on the ball, and... timing is everything,"

"O-okay," Kuroko said, "Thank you,"

***

The Akashi family ate in silence, Shizuka and Seijuro obviously not in speaking terms after his scolding back at the gym.

"I assume everything is alright with your school, Seijuro?" Saburo asked.

"Yes, father," Seijuro said, "No problem with my grades and extra-curricular activities,"

"And Shizuka?" Saburo said, "You're quieter than before, did something happen?"

Shizuka glanced at Seijuro and shook her head, smiling at her father. "No problems for me as well, dad,"

"That's good," Saburo said. "You must remember that an Akashi never takes defeat. Success is the only option. Our words are absolute and anyone who says it otherwise will be punished,"

"Yes... father," Seijuro answered.

After dinner, Shizuka immediately fled the scene and went directly to her favorite tree, climbing and sitting on top of its strongest branch and listened to the crickets and insects that hummed their tune in the cold silent night.

"It's cold tonight," Seijuro spoke, taking Shizuka back from her thoughts. "You shouldn't stay here for so long,"

"I'll be okay," Shizuka answered coldly.

Seijuro sighed. He climbed up the tree. He hated Shizuka's ways of shutting him down. She knew he dreaded the unnecessary work he put in his body for climbing, but it was her own way of revenge.

"I'm sorry," Seijuro said. "I shouldn't have scolded you and punished Aomine for it. I just... this whole vice-captain thing is actually stressful,"

"But it's not good to vent your stress out on me, nee-chan," Shizuka pouted, causing a tug at the corner of Seijuro's mouth.

"I'm sorry," Seijuro repeated. "I promise I'll try to be less strict with you from now on,"

Shizuka smiled. "I know you won't keep that promise," she said.

Seijuro only answered with a smile.

"Anyway, I finally saw the boy I was telling you on the first day," Shizuka said.

Seijuro was thankful that Shizuka had a different personality from her. She can easily forgive and will still act as if nothing happened afterwards. But it secretly made him sad because she was a spitting image of Ayako, whom Seijuro found sanctuary in her arms whenever their father forces him to do something he doesn't want.

"Nee-chan?" Shizuka called, waving her hand in front of Seijuro. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Hmm? Oh, sorry," Seijuro said, "I was just deep in thought, what were you saying?"

"Tetsuya Kuroko!" Shizuka said, "That's his name,"

"Who?"