Chapter Thirteen

The first thing I do when I wake up the next morning is check on my father. When I enter his room, I see that he is fast asleep, his breath gurgling. I do not want to leave him by himself, but I cannot miss the trial; it is something I need to see.

As I walk down the street, I see people streaming out from their houses. They all wear black, are dressed in it from head to toe. I am not wearing black, and I do not understand why everyone else is. I also do not know where the trial is going to be held, but I follow the mass of people slowly forming. I follow them, walking in the herd, until we reach the funeral hall, an uneasy feeling settling over me. In my life, I have never witnessed a trial, but I wonder why it is being held in the funeral hall when no one has died. It feels off.

When the doors to the hall are opened and we walk inside, I see that Thomas is already there, standing at the elevated other end of the room. He, too, is dressed in black, and stands solemnly while he observes the town entering the funeral hall. I look around, trying to see if Maggie or her family is here as well, but I cannot see them. I take a seat in the very back, wanting to blend in, even though I am not sure that is possible with my red dress contrasting starkly against the black of the others. I sit down on the cold wooden chair and rest my hands on my knees, anticipating, but also afraid, although not for me. The others sit down too, and soon there is no one left standing except for Thomas. The room is completely silent, and I can feel the anticipation of the others as well.

I remember the last time I was in here, dragging the body out from the coffin, pulling it against the floor. Doing my first task for Will. And I remember the time before that, sitting in my black dress, feeling ever so hateful.

I jump as the absolute silence is broken with a loud bang as the doors are slammed open. Officers drag in Maggie first, one holding each of her arms, followed by Peter, who looks even worse than yesterday, and barely alive; Maggie's and Peter's hands are handcuffed together. Finally, Liam is walked in, and his hands are also cuffed, the metal rings too big for his small hands. As they walk, Maggie looks down at the floor, her eyes moving from side to side nervously. Peter stares blankly ahead of him, and Liam looks scared beyond belief; I think he is about to cry, and as he turns his head, making eye contact with me, I feel so, so guilty.

Maggie, Peter, and Liam are led over to stand behind Thomas in a single line, Liam in the middle of his parents. The officers do not leave, but stand beside them, holding them tightly in place. People whisper as they enter, but eventually silence settles over the town as Thomas takes a few steps forwards and clears his throat.

"Good morning everybody," he says loudly, his voice reverberating against the high walls of the hall.

Every single head turns to look directly at Thomas, all the attention focused on him.

"We are here today," he continues, "to discuss the punishment of this cruel and murderous family which stands behind me. As you all know - these people," he pauses, turning around to gesture to them," are responsible for two murders. Murders of two respectable people, of a mother and of a young man."

From my place in the back of the room, I try to look at Thomas's eyes, try to comprehend how he can be grouping in Liam with his parents. Even if they were guilty, which they are not, it is completely ludicrous to pretend that a six-year old boy was involved in murder. It is also so strange that no one seems to be concerned about Peter's state. But, as I look around, I see people nodding their heads in agreement. I feel, yet again, as if everything is wrong.

"Now, it is our duty to decide on their punishment," Thomas says. "In this town, as most of you know, murder is punishable by death. I believe, however, that it is up to us to use our best judgement. I would like to have a vote, by the raising of hands, to decide if we will follow through with this punishment."