Chapter Sixteen: A Small Town

Start from the beginning

But Jungkook is not Daniel. He has to remind himself of that. Things that upset Daniel don't even phase Jungkook. Jungkook likes Taehyung's goofy, childish, ways. He likes to talk about anything and everything with Taehyung, and he's okay with giving him space when he's uncomfortable. Jungkook doesn't purposefully toy with him or manipulate him or push his boundaries even when it is known he's not comfortable. Jungkook is not Daniel. And Taehyung is so grateful for that.

It is like muscle memorization for Taehyung to find the bookshop. The town isn't that big, nor has much changed in the past five years or so. The scent of old and dusty books consumes the two of them as they push open the large, heavy, wooden door; a small bell chimes and instantly there is a rustle from the back of the store. The sight consumes Jungkook and he quickly pulls out his phone, taking pictures of the ancient yet magical bookstore.

"Welcome! Welcome! I'll be with you in a moment!" a deep, gravelly, voice chimes and Taehyung smiles brightly.

"I can believe he's still here..." Taehyung mumbles under his breath and Jungkook stops taking pictures to look down at Taehyung, "He's this Scottish ex-fisherman who moved here after a really bad boating accident. He opened this shop with the proceeds won from that," Taehyung quietly explains as he leads Jungkook further into the bookstore. They walk around a corner of crammed and poorly organized bookshelves to see a tall ginger-haired male precariously perched on the top of a rickety ladder. His bulging arms are filled with books, yet beneath his shirt sleeves, Jungkook can see faint scars, faded tattoos, and burnt skin.

"Heya Paps!" Taehyung cries and the man looks down quickly. Jungkook's surprised to see that the man is barely older than him—maybe early thirties—with bright gleaming blue eyes and the largest smile on his face.

"Taehyung! You're back!" the man shouts, setting the books haphazardly on the ladder rung before scrambling down to pull Taehyung into an extremely tight hug. The blond hugs him back, though Jungkook tries to ignore it. He wants to ignore the burning jealousy slithering it's way through his gut, yet it is hard not to feel it when he sees how close the two of them are. Finally, 'Paps' releases Taehyung from his grappling hug and sets him gingerly on the ground again, "Man, I feel like it's been forever!"

"About five years give or take," Taehyung murmurs, his bright boxy smile not leaving his face as he turns to Jungkook, "Kookie, this is my friend Paps. I've known him forever, but when I was younger I couldn't properly pronounce his name so Paps just stuck," he adds, and Jungkook forces a polite smile on his face.

"I'm Jungkook. Nice to meet you," he says, accepting the handshake that Paps initiates. His large hand is warm and worn, covered in old scars and callouses.

"Where'd you two meet? You got a unique accent..."

"As do you. I'm from Seoul in South Korea...English is my second language," Jungkook retorts and Paps laughs.

"Yeah, I haven't been able to shake my Scottish brogue no matter how long I've been here..."

"You talk as if you're super old, Paps," Taehyung teases and the Scottish man laughs, running his fingers sheepishly through his hair.

"I've been in this town for almost fifteen years, bub..."

"Wow, it has been a while...how are you and Sadie doing?" Taehyung curiously asks, and Paps sighs.

"Yeah, that ended unfortunately. I've just been playing the field...keeping my options open..." the man says, and Jungkook feels his jealousy curdle in his veins. He doesn't like how the man stares at Taehyung. Doesn't like how close Taehyung is to him when he holds ill intentions in his gaze. He may not hurt Taehyung, but there's just something...something he isn't fond of...