"Mint, these are Leafpool and Crowfeather. They're helping me improve my hunting skills, and they're really nice." Berry gestured with her tail to each cat in turn. 

"Nice to meet you," Mint said. 

"But where's Pebble? And mother?" A look of confusion crossed Berry's face. 

Mint dropped her gaze down to her paws. "Pebble and I got separated in the forest. And mother... mother's dead."

Berry's eyes widened. "Oh." She said nothing more. It seemed like she couldn't even comprehend what was happening.

***

The night was uneventful. Leafpool suggested that Mint and Berry sit vigil for their mother, as a time for them to say their goodbyes. She said that it helped her, every time a clanmate died. 

Berry felt better the next morning, although Mint didn't feel too different.

"You can rest if you want. Leafpool and I can do the hunting," Crowfeather meowed.

Berry fell asleep as soon as her head touched the moss of her nest, but Mint still had to find a spot to sleep. She chose a spot between the roots of the willow, near her sister, and brushed away some dead leaves with her paw. The space was already moss-covered, but Mint added some feathers to the space. Newleaf was just barely beginning, and the night air was still unpleasantly cold.

Just as Mint began to drift off, she heard voices.

***

Pebble couldn't bear to stay by the burial site any longer than he had to. By sunhigh, he had convinced Oak and Violet to leave in search of his siblings, and Marigold and Cloud had offered to go with them, mostly since they wanted to help Oak recover from Heather's death. 

It wasn't long before Pebble came across what must've been some cat's camp. It smelled strongly of cats who had been there recently, but not his siblings. 

Suddenly, Pebble noticed something caught in a bush. It was a piece of fur, smelling strongly of his sister, Berry. 

He padded onward, listening to the cheerful chatter of Marigold and Violet, who had already become fast friends. 

Picking up a scent trail, Pebble followed it through the grass, over a ditch, and around a thorny bush, into a hollow. 

There they were, two small lumps of fur curled up in between the roots of a tree, Pebble's sisters. 

Berry was sound asleep, but Mint was wide awake, staring curiously at the approaching cats. Her eyes widened with recognition, and she leaped to her paws, running to greet her brother. 

"Pebble! You're alive!" Mint exclaimed, brushing her muzzle against his.

Mint stopped short at the sight of the other cats. "Who are they?"

After Berry had awoken, and Leafpool and Crowfeather had returned, Pebble introduced Oak, Violet, Marigold, and Cloud, telling the story of how he met them.

Crowfeather pulled Leafpool aside, out of the camp. "We can't just let them stay," he hissed. 

"Well, what are we supposed to do? We can't exactly kick them out either," Leafpool pointed out. "There are helpless kits and an elder who can barely fend for themselves, and we can help them. The other three would all make strong assets to our-" Leafpool caught herself before saying "clan", instead saying, "group."

"They're just extra mouths to feed, and extra work. I don't want any stress or pressure. That's part of the reason I left my clan, and you know it!"

Leafpool could sense her mate's agitation, so she knew she had to be careful with her words. "All of my life, I knew I wanted to be a medicine cat. Cinderpelt walked with me every step of the way, and she taught me kindness and compassion. It is the nature of medicine cats, and all cats, to care for others. I could never turn away cats in need."

"If we were to let these cats stay, we can't call ourselves a clan, and we don't have to be a clan. All cats have to provide for the group, except for elders, kits, and queens. Also, no leader, deputy, or patrols," Crowfeather began.

"I think we still need a system of mentors and apprentices though. And maybe every cat could learn a bit of basic medicine as part of their training?" Leafpool suggested. 

"Maybe it could be like a clan for travelers. Cats passing through could stop by, help us hunt, we share prey and knowledge, they stay the night, and then they leave." 

"I suppose that makes sense, and if they came with injuries, we could help them."

"You know," Crowfeather began, "I'm alright with whatever we do, as long as I'm with you." 

Leafpool purred. "How sweet." 

Leafpool and Crowfeather padded back into the camp, fur brushing. Leafpool sat down beside Crowfeather in the camp, watching the kits play and chase each other around in circles, listening to Marigold and Violet chatting. It was a clan, but not a clan. And Leafpool was happy. She had everything she needed, family, a mate, and true joy, in her heart.

I'm done!!!!!!!