Chapter 3

Aileen reached into her bag and got out the paper work that would make this placement permanent.

"I am glad you like being here Callen, I really am. I hope this works out for you," Aileen said as she filled in the forms. "I also need to talk to you and your carers about Bayliss." She said.

Callen's mood changed, "He's gone…done, we don't need to talk about him." He snapped.

"Yes we do, I had him arrested yesterday and we need you to come to the police station to give a statement, we have no idea how many other children he has actually hurt, we need to make sure he won't do this again." She prodded gently.

Callen looked forlornly at the ground.

"You will not do this alone Callen…I will be with you the whole time if you wish me to be." Sveta said.

Callen nodded, he hadn't ever wanted to see Bayliss again, but for the sake of any other child who may end up in his clutches he needed to do this.

Sveta pulled Toli in the kitchen and after a frenzied conversation she walked back up to Callen, "My husband is of agreement, I will go with you and he will stay with Alaina, he does not want to be near the man who hurt his boy…he would get angry and that would be wrong." She said Callen moved closer to her as they walked out of the house. It was chilly and Sveta looked at Callen.

"You get your coat…it is cold."

Callen looked at her, Never had anyone told him to get a coat, wrap up warm, or be careful…unless he was touching something of theirs, but not to worry about him, he wasn't sure what it was about the woman, but she had gotten past all of the defenses that Callen had built up over the years and he found himself comforted by this.

"I…I don't have a coat." He whispered not wanting to upset her.

"No...You!" she said jabbing a finger at Aileen, "You should have made sure he had a coat…good clothes…" she said reproachfully.

"It's LA…A coat is not a necessity the city will only pay for necessities not other items, that is for the foster parents to do." She said.

"Chert voz'mi!" she snapped, "Then you have not placed this boy with decent foster parents…We will fetch you clothes, and a new coat, before we go to the police station." She ordered.

Aileen was going to argue but the look on Sveta's face stopped her.

"It's ok Mama Rostov." Callen said. "I don't need a coat."

Sveta smiled at the use of her name, "My boy, there are a great many things that you need that you have not had, a coat is the least of them and while you are with me you will have all you need." She promised.

They climbed into the car and drove to the mall, Aileen watched in the rear view mirror as her hardest, toughest case slowly moved across the seat until he was underneath his new foster mother's arm.

Two hours later laden with bags containing new shoes, shirts, pants, undergarments and socks and proudly wearing a new bomber jacket, Callen, Aileen and Sveta headed to the police station.

Detective Dean Jensen was waiting as they arrived, "You're later than I thought you would be, the boy playing you up again?" he asked with a smile.

"Morning Dean." Callen grinned as he sat in his usual seat by the detective's desk.

"Woah! Look at you, smiling and new threads….What happened to my hard case?"

"Detective Jensen, I am Svetlana Rostov, My son has come to give you a statement." She said holding out her hand.