Chapter 1

The social worker walked up the path as a mid-sized green canvas bag came sailing out of the door and landed on the path, swiftly followed by a blond haired blue eyed teenager sporting a black eye and bruised arm.

"Get him out of here!" A red faced angry looking man yelled at the social worker.

"You should be arrested you!" The teenager yelled back, "Perv!" he spat.

"Why! I ought to….!" The man turned to hit the teenager again and the social worker stood in the way.

"Don't worry Mr. Bayliss, you will not be looking after any more children…ever," She told him standing between him and the kid.

"This is all your fault." The man snarled at the kid.

The kid looked at him emotionless as the social worker moved him to the car.

"You spotted that one pretty quickly?" Aileen said as she bundled the teenager into the car. "You've only been here a day."

"It kinda gave it away when he tried to grope me as he showed me 'his' room where I was to sleep." The kid snarled pulling his feet up onto the seat of the car and curling himself into a ball as he rode away in the back of the station wagon that belonged to his social worker.

Aileen looked at the kid in the rear-view mirror and sighed, "You are most difficult to place you know."

"You want me to get out now then." The kid replied with a smirk although his hand tightened on his bag.

"I managed to find a place for you…I'm not sure how long this placement is for, it's a nice family," She stopped as she saw his eyes roll.

"Suuuurrrreeee!" he drawled sarcastically.

"It's in Little Armenia, a nice Russian family, a husband and wife…."

"They got Kids?" he asked.

"Yes a four year old, Alaina." Aileen said smiling finally he was talking again. "Before we get there, anything broken?" she asked knowing by now to trust his judgment on these things rather than waste a fight at the hospital.

"No, I'm good. So when does my child-minding stint start."

Aileen sighed again, "Maybe it'll be different this time." She said brightly.

"Come on! If they've got kids they usually only want us for child minding or to look good for the neighbors, either way I'll hate it." He said.

"Give it a chance." She said.

"Fine." He snapped. It wasn't like he had a choice…well he did but he wasn't going back there again…and there was no way after Mr. Bayliss' conversation about their sleeping arrangements that he was going to spend one night under his roof.

The car pulled up outside a small one-storey house, it looked clean enough, and there was no dog…always good, Dogs meant competition if he didn't get fed or sometimes he was bullied by the elder kids getting their dogs to bark and try and bite him.

Aileen got out and opened the door for him and he held his bag like a life preserver. It was after all, all he owned in the world.

He hung back as she knocked on the door.

"Derzhis' , derzhis' ya idu !" he heard from behind the door.

A large smiling blonde haired woman in a half apron with her hair in a bun opened the door. "Hello?" she said.

"Aileen Sommers, Children Services." Aileen said introducing herself.

"Yes?" The woman looked confused.