Chapter 27 - Uncelebrated

After reading the third message Devin has left this morning, I place my phone back on the table and continue peeling garlic. Our disagreement left me with an uncomfortable feeling, and I let him know by sending him a carefully written email where I also relayed the information Roxy gave me about her mom. I do care about him, but his reaction about me knowing of the investigation and keeping it to myself was disproportionate, yet I wanted him to know every detail of what his daughter saw.

Today, Christmas day, is the seventh day since we last spoke in person. He's messaged me every day and I have barely reacted. I'm not ghosting him, but I'm simply giving us time to think.

My family has been trickling in to celebrate the day, and so far my tías have not touched on the topic of why I'm here by myself.

"What's going on, mija?" Mom asks while stirring a pot of stewed beans.

"Nothing's going on," I shrug.

"Why isn't that handsome boyfriend of yours here?"

I knew it wouldn't last long until someone asked.

"He's spending the holiday with his daughter."

"A daughter..."

"Ma, stop wiggling your eyebrows like that."

"Why? He has it all! Looks, manners, brains, and a daughter. What else can you wish for?"

"That he trusts me. That he doesn't jump to conclusions, just like I did when I found out the secret he had been hiding from everyone."

I recount the events of the past week to my mom when we are not interrupted by other family members coming in and out of the kitchen. When my gossipy cousins inquire as to why Devin isn't here, my mom tells them that he will be here later, to my dismay.

"I completely agree with you, Tania, but I also understand where he stands. Things went fine and with the result he wanted, but if the plan had backfired, he would have been even further away from seeing his daughter. You didn't influence the plan, but his father needs to back off and let Devin deal with his problems on his own. Like I did when your brother broke up with the pu- person he was dating."

"Come on, Ma! We all know who spread the gossip at the mercado."

"It wasn't me!" She feigns insult. "That jinetera was caught, how you say that, smooching the owner. Your brother was furious and I kept to myself."

After giving her a 'yeah, right' look, my brother enters the house with another woman, but this time, my mom smiles.

"Is that the new girlfriend?"

"Yeah, isn't she lovely? I met her at church and invited her for coffee here. Your brother saw her and the rest is history. I was quite the matchmaker in my younger years."

"I thought you said parents need to back off."

Caught in her blunder, Mom busies herself cleaning the counter from all the garlic peels. My brother brings the girl into the kitchen and before he gets to introduce us formally, my eyes immediately catch the rock adorning her finger.

"Are you engaged?" I ask him while Mom squeals at the realization.

"Yeah, she's all I need," he looks at her and gives her a wink, making her blush prettily. After introducing her to me and serving drinks for themselves, he reclines from the kitchen counter and points at me with his nose. "Where's Devin?"

"Ah... he'll be here later."

"Good! The bro in law is a cool guy. You will like him," my brother says to his girlfriend.