Chapter 24 - Change of Plans

I can't remember when was the last time I slept so deeply. In the last two and a half weeks I've slept so well that I can't even remember my dreams. Usually those are plagued with memories of a hospital, court papers and since I met Tania with hot glue and sewing needles.

I feel full of energy and hope for the future. Without a doubt, it has to do with waking up besides the beautiful woman sitting next to me as I drive. Tania just makes my world a whole lot better.

The first time we slept together was eventful. We finished late after a party and she asked me to stay. That is something I love about her, no games, she says everything straight out.

After what was possibly the best sex I've had in my life, which is difficult to believe with my past, we naturally fell asleep. I woke up the next morning a bit disoriented and then remembered that I was at Tania's. She wasn't in bed and I had to use the bathroom. The clock in my phone said it was close to six in the morning.

I arrived to the bathroom to find the door not fully closed. Through it, I could see a sleepy Tania sitting on the toilet and sporting the wildest mess of curls you can imagine.

"Morning," I opened the door a bit more.

Tania let out a blood-curdling scream and threw the hairbrush she had in her hand at me. The thing hit me straight between the eyes, making me yell in pain. Her damned good aim left a purple bump. She apologized a million times while getting me an ice pack and then walked all around the room with a worried look.

"What were you up so early?" I asked her.

"I needed to... you know.... use the bathroom and deal with this," she pointed at her hair.

"Tania, everyone poops," I responded trying not to laugh. "And how long did you think you could keep the hair thing secret from me?"

"As long as possible."

It was good that Peyton wasn't in the house cause if she didn't wake up before from our screams, she would have from the laughter attack we got. When we calmed down, Tania sat on my lap and I felt closer to her than I've ever been. Since that moment, she accepted that I love her anyway she looks and that her human needs don't bother me.

"Are you sure about this?"

Tania interrupts my memories of what was the start of us as a serious couple. I give her a quick look since I'm driving; she bites her lip and looks doubtful.

"Stephen did it and no one complained," I place my hand on her thigh and give her a small squeeze for reassurance. "It will be fine."

"How did you meet him? We have never talked about that before. If you tell me, it will take my mind off of everything else."

I smile at her question. I promised her to be more open about my past and everything else, and she enjoys asking me about anything that pops in her head.

"I didn't exactly meet him. Stephen searched for me. My whole life I thought I was an orphan."

I feel Tania's stare on my face. She expects a detailed version like when she and Peyton talk. I heard an extensive discussion over some guy called Cutie whom Peyton is dating and she still doesn't know his real name. Apparently he is good in bed... that was the last I heard before I put headphones on. A guy doesn't need to know all the details.

"And? Go on," she motions with her hand for me to continue.

I laugh and try to put my thoughts in order.

"Dad had been divorced for a while and looked for my mom, whom he met after he finished college. He was hoping to at least rekindle their friendship if she was in a relationship. He found out that she passed away and that her child was brought to an orphanage. When he made the mental calculation, he realized that he could be my father. He hired a private investigator and she located me. It couldn't have been difficult as I have my mother's last name and have lived here my whole life. When Stephen appeared at my door, I was shocked to see the older version of myself."