Chapter 3 - Interview

It's disappointing. After a week of waiting, I only got one applicant for the vacancy. I could wait longer, but the recruitment officer at the agency said he didn't think the ad will get more responses. Most people are looking for a full-time job and entertaining kids isn't an attractive business.

I tried to explain to him that it wasn't only that. I'm a full event planner and work 80 hours per week. He only asked: how many animal balloons have you made in the past month? The answer would have been: too many to remember. 

Since I didn't respond, he proceeded to tell me the documents from the person interested were sent to my email. I thanked him and opened my email reluctantly. I groaned while reading the resume. A 30-year-old man called Devin Cole applied. I hope he isn't a weirdo or worse... a pedo.

I scanned the work experience. Ten years with a film production company, and the most recent were only a bunch of retail jobs. The longest was a barista position he kept for five months. That worried me. I can't have someone bailing on me after a short time. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind someone preparing coffee for me. I pulled a long night at this sleep over and was here again at six in the morning.

The mom of the birthday girl wanted something classy. Not the usual sleeping bag and scary movies deal I experienced as a kid. I built tents out of curtain floral fabric. My poor sewing machine strained with the thick fabric. The living room on this mansion could accommodate 20 girls easily, but in total I had eight.

I had to buy pajamas for the guests. Not the cutesy kind with licensed cartoons on them. The mom specified she wanted them from a particular designer so I complied. Her cash advance was more than enough to cover the costs. The girls also slept on light pink satin bed sheets and ate sushi. My stomach churned while looking at them eating tray after tray of raw fish. I craved for a night of pizza and chocolate milk, and a rom com.

I don't even remember the last time I watched a movie. Hell, I don't even remember the last time I went on a date. It hasn't been lack of attention. Some dads have crossed the line during an event and have asked me out. I'm sorry, but I'm no one's side dish.

The girls eat stacks of whole wheat pancakes, freshly pressed orange juice, organic milk and maple candied veggie bacon. I swear they wouldn't know the difference if I gave them the regular thing from a supermarket. I couldn't find a caterer who was willing to come so early in the morning to cook for a few girls, so I decided to do it myself.

"Thanks Tania. It was memorable,"

I knew the birthday girl mom stood next to me in the kitchen before she talked. Her menthol cigarette smell hit me a minute earlier. I turn around and watch her take a puff while she hands me an envelope. She takes in the place with wide eyes.

"I didn't know we had all of that," she points at the kitchen gear and laughs. "Ah well, I never come here anyway,"

What a pity!

"The cleaners should be here soon," she says. "Are you going to do something fun with the money?"

Yeah, pay for an assistant.

"Eventually. First, I want to expand the business,"

"Good luck with that and don't take things too seriously. My ex did, and well, I got this house, his money and he got a divorce,"

I feel uncomfortable at the personal information but give her a smile. I gather my things and head to my car. After seeing the check in the envelope, my heart does a happy flip. She gave me a juicy tip, or well, her ex-husband did.

I park my car and enter the house. Peyton sleeps until late and won't wake up until the afternoon. Maybe I should clear up the dining table before meeting with Devin. My sewing machine is still on there and the floor is littered with thread and pieces of fabric.