Chapter 16

Mitch was wondering when Scott was going to bring back up the 'I wanna talk about the future' conversation. It intrigued him. He'd love to talk about the future. Planning was something Mitch thoroughly enjoyed and was good at. Which, if he was honest, was a little bit of a foreign feeling to him when it came to relationships. Planning for his future was something he needed so that he felt like he had purpose. Planning for their future was something he had managed to avoid talking about with all his previous boyfriends. He didn't feel bad or worried though. Scott was the only one who had made him want a future with someone. He made him fantasize a life with him and it didn't freak him out. It made him excited.

     He wasn't going to pry into Scott and Connor's conversation from that weekend. He'd heard enough to understand that there was more behind the scenes when it came to the man. Clearly, it had affected Scott though. He came back from that conversation deep in thought. The whole way home on the plane actually. He didn't say a whole lot. Until he was telling him that he wanted to talk about the future.

    Mitch wondered what went through his brain to get him from that conversation to thinking about the future. And he wondered, at the time, if he should mention that he heard Connie say 'I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we meet is at a church' when saying goodbye to his parents. He decided against it. He wasn't sure that's what he meant by 'future'.

     Scott was determined to go to the gym right away the next morning to talk to Matt. He had insisted he come along since he was a sponsor and whatever Matt decided about what he wanted was going to affect him too, so Mitch tagged along and watched them train for a little bit.

     Until Rick came waltzing in, that is. Mitch politely said hello to him but if he was honest he wasn't really in the mood to talk to him at all.

     So, he stayed where he was on the bench and didn't bother to join the conversation. He just sat and listened to Rick completely not say a word to Scott about his interview getting leaked. The whole conversation revolved around Matt.

     Mitch guessed that was understandable. Scott was engaged in the conversation. Seemed happy that Matt wanted to stay to train under him. Relieved.

     Rick seemed pleased by it too.

     What Mitch wasn't expecting was for Avi, who had been pretty much doing what he was, staying to himself, exploded.

     Avi was pissed at Rick. Called him out for not even saying a word about the interview or congratulating him on his win. He was upset he was more concerned with Matt than his own son's wellbeing. And pissed for trusting Charlie to keep the interview under wraps. Rick, the calm man that he was just stood there with his arms crossed, giving simple answers like "I didn't know" and "I already talked to him." Things that seemed important but didn't matter in the long scheme of things.

    Avi didn't give up trying to get answers until Scott had literally restrained him, pulling him by the collar of his shirt until they were both on the other side of the gym door. Mitch could hear Scott's yelling, but he couldn't make out what he was saying.

    Mitch hadn't felt as awkward in a situation more than he did sitting in a mostly empty gym with Rick, Matt, and Kevin. It was completely silent on this side of the door.

     Overall, he was happy someone called Rick out. Scott probably wasn't expecting for it to be Avi. Hell, Mitch wasn't expecting it either and it made him wonder if Esther knew anything.

     The most interesting part of the whole situation though was watching Scott try and fix things. He came back in looking more than worried, apologizing to his dad and telling him that there were no hard feelings there.